Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Can you provide me with information on this reporting to the irs and the level of questioning associated with it? I'm not sure if you are aware but the reporting of transactions of 10k or greater through a SARS report actually goes to the irs not Fincen not the irs. There also isn't some heavy questioning that goes along with it unless there is a large amount of this activity.

I know what the fedex policy is

I don't have that information, but I do have personal experience.

Have you ever been stopped at the border and during a secondary screening they find you're carrying a few thousands dollars?

They do question you. they do ask where, why, when and how. In the end they can't do a darn thing about it because it's under 10k, but they still try to intimidate you.

And if you think the IRS doesn't have a hand in this then I don't know what to tell you. I know who it gets reported to, I read the signs while waiting in line for customs/immigration and I do read my customs form.

I know the FedEx policy too, but it doesn't mean they don't/won't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I don't have that information, but I do have personal experience.

Have you ever been stopped at the border and during a secondary screening they find you're carrying a few thousands dollars?

They do question you. they do ask where, why, when and how. In the end they can't do a darn thing about it because it's under 10k, but they still try to intimidate you.

And if you think the IRS doesn't have a hand in this then I don't know what to tell you. I know who it gets reported to, I read the signs while waiting in line for customs/immigration and I do read my customs form.

I know the FedEx policy too, but it doesn't mean they don't/won't do it.

You don't have the information because it's not reported to the irs. The IRS isn't going to ask you questions that's for sure. I've done secondary screenings with cbp with large amount of currency and it's pretty standard couple of minutes. Their line of questioning is Liken to that of a police officer asking questions on a road side stop to see how you respond. They try to intimidate you? Lol uh okay seems like someone is dramatic. I've also carried large amounts of currency, declared and had not secondary screening

Just because a cash package ships through fedex doesn't mean they are aware of the contents and you'd better hope it never gets lost

Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
My wife uses Western Union to send to Colombia from the US. It is a flat $8 fee, at least up to what she'll send, so it will cost more as a percentage to send a small amount ( say 50 to 100 bucks) then to send a bit more (like 200 bucks).

When I was living in Costa Rica I just used my US bank card to receive cash when needed before I got a local account..

When I bought property in Costa Rica I had my bank do a wire transfer.

When I sold my property in CR I opened a bank account there and used the ATM for cash withdrawals.

When my parents needed to borrow money from me to put down on a new house, I had my CR bank wire several different 9000 transactions to my parents account in the US.

As I was giving up all ties to Costa Rica I would fly with 9500 cash a few times and then deposit into my US account.

Yes, customs did see cash upon looking and asked a few questions. No problem. It was bound to happen as when I travel with cash I separate it a bit so I don't have it all in one spot.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 PM

257 posts, read 685,149 times
Paypal, moneygram, western union, etc.: fees + they ********* on the exchange rate: big time.

Wire transfer: same as above, but they generally ********* less, at least on the exchange rate.

Cash: no problems, except the unpleasant feeling of having a large sum of money on your person might give you.

There are multiple factors in determining the best way: convenience, cost, size of transactions, frequency of transactions, which way the money is moving.
I've mostly had to do US->somewhere else transfer. For small infrequent transactions: ATM withdrawals with my TD bank debit card: all fees are reimbursed and the exchange rate is a fair one set by VISA. There are multiple banks who offer similar products.
Big infrequent transactions: transferwise. 1% fee and the exchange rate is a fair market rate. Very easy to do with sums under 3k, as those can be done completely online with an ACH transfer. Bigger sums would require a domestic wire transfer which is a bit of a pain.

I would use transferwise to send money to the US as well.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
I have used Paypal to send small amounts of money internationally. They give you decent exchange rates (found the mark up is usually 1-2%) and charge you a 0.5% (for many countries) fee for international transfers. Its by far the easiest way to send money, but the fees can be substancial if you're sending a considerable amount.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Who really wants (or needs) to carry more than $10K for any legitimate purpose?

We just returned from another month-long trip around the Mediterranean. Before/After hotels were pre-booked and prepaid, as was the cruise ship and other amenities. While almost everyone in Europe accepts Master Card or Visa (and ATM's are everywhere), we decided to carry about $2K in euros and US $'s to cover excursions and smaller restaurants, etc. - Ultimately, we spent mostly euros, since many places no longer accepted US $'s.

Cash advances for smaller amounts are expensive (rate of exchange, CC fees and International exchange fees can amount to $15+ per transaction); ... something we learned to avoid on previous trips).

Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Clarification: not for illegitimate purpose, but looking for the way to pay the least fees. If you send a big sum, say, by paypal, the 3.9% can be pretty sizable.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM

257 posts, read 685,149 times
Many legitimate reasons to want to move money across country borders: relocating, purchasing real estate, throwing a wedding, helping family living abroad, etc.

Agreed that in this day and age going on vacation with $10k in cash is a little ridiculous. Also paying exorbitant foreign transaction fees on purchases and accessing your money at an ATM is something that can be completely avoided by US residents today.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Is the money received in the U.S. from overseas via bank wire transfer (or similar) subject to income tax?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Is the money received in the U.S. from overseas via bank wire transfer (or similar) subject to income tax?
Is it income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance