Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,425,948 times

Advertisements

We recently had fraudulent activity on a credit card. We found it almost immediately and reported it, They closed that card number and will issue me a new one, in about 10 days. This has happened before, actually several times, on that card. Will this hurt our credit score?

Should I file a police report? I'm 99% sure who stole it, but no proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:13 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,828,121 times
I just had to do it too...I doubt it hurts your credit score by g getting a new card....I checked my credit report and it was clean and still high.....Isn't that a bit(h??? I didn't file a report...credit card company knows where the gangster was having his $700 turntable sent.....they gave me his name and found the weasel on Facebook.... just someone I have no idea who..looks like a real winner too....he even had a picture of his car with his VA state license plate....Dumb A$$.....he will get his....

Old 07-03-2015, 01:20 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,425,948 times
Our fraud was a classic.

I never lost the card, still have it. Somehow the thief got the numbers, although I'm very careful about shredding stuff, never give out my number to someone who calls me, and get a separate cash card for online purchases. That way, its only good for the amount put on it, and they can't pull another scam, like run it through multiple times, sign you up for ongoing deals, etc.

The thief utilized my card 3x in one day. The first two were for small, odd amounts, like $11.27. When they figured out the card would work, they bought a bunch of computer stuff from some place in China. Well, I stopped them in their tracks! I usually don't review my cc statements every day, but really, it doesn't take that much time, and you can save yourself a lot of grief!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,828,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Our fraud was a classic.

I never lost the card, still have it. Somehow the thief got the numbers, although I'm very careful about shredding stuff, never give out my number to someone who calls me, and get a separate cash card for online purchases. That way, its only good for the amount put on it, and they can't pull another scam, like run it through multiple times, sign you up for ongoing deals, etc.

The thief utilized my card 3x in one day. The first two were for small, odd amounts, like $11.27. When they figured out the card would work, they bought a bunch of computer stuff from some place in China. Well, I stopped them in their tracks! I usually don't review my cc statements every day, but really, it doesn't take that much time, and you can save yourself a lot of grief!
When I called the online company they bought from they GAVE ME THE GUYS NAME AND ADDRESS....I played dumb and said I never got my order where was it shipped? Then I told him some thief used it....How would this little twerp get my cc# plus the number on the back? I NEVER use my card except on Amazon...maybe one or two other places online....never at restaurants stores...NOWHERE....I'm still POd.....

Old 07-03-2015, 05:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
...They closed that card number and will issue me a new one, in about 10 days. This has happened before, actually several times, on that card. Will this hurt our credit score?
You're getting a new card & number, but all of your account info (length of time you've had account, use & payment history, etc.) remains the same so there is no effect on your credit score. IOW, even though you received a new number, it's still tied to your old account.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:34 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,008,675 times
Quote:
We recently had fraudulent activity on a credit card. We found it almost immediately and reported it, They closed that card number and will issue me a new one, in about 10 days. This has happened before, actually several times, on that card. Will this hurt our credit score?
Nope. As MadManofBethesda has already said, as far as the credit reporting agencies are concerned, this is the same account. They don't care that the card number associated with the account has been changed.

Quote:
Should I file a police report? I'm 99% sure who stole it, but no proof.
I'd call the fraud department for your credit card, and let them have the information. Then they can decide what to do with it. Do let them know you'll cooperate if they decide to file criminal charges against the probable thief. (But I doubt they will - the amount of money taken in your case makes it too small to be worth pursuing in court. If the thief had charged thousands, that would be another story.)

Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
If the fraud is caught fast enough, before the turntable is delivered, They often can notify the Delivery company to Non/Deliver and return the shipment back to them.

When your credit card fraud dept does the charge back to the merchant (fraud dept) bank, they charge it back to the vendor who put transaction in,

Visa/MC/DC/AX corporate fraud get the data also so they can be on the lookout of transaction that also go to that address, on a global basis .

As to your credit score, as long as the same bank re-issue a card (new number) its a non/event for your credit score.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:48 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
This happens all the time, my Discover has been changed 3 times already due to this (they catch it before I do). It has no impact on your scores, and no point in filing a police report. It's just part of life in the 21st century.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:44 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
I've only had it happen on my ATM card. The bank required a police report # to open the fraud claim. Took about five minutes to do it online and had a case number in a few days, gave that to the bank and the did a temporary credit. It takes up to six months to close the fraud claim so it's still in process.

It won't have any effect on your credit unless they open a new account which then doesn't get paid. But that's identity theft and not simply credit card fraud. I guess there's credit cards I have that I don't regularly use so I don't check all that frequently but I have those all set for autopay the minimum anyway so it still wouldn't effect my credit aside from possibly utilization until I noticed. Or if you constantly claim fraud they'll close the account which could also effect your credit score. But basically it won't.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,933 times
My credit union's soft ware caught fraud on my card and blocked it.I was notified by email.I have a debit card which was used at gas pump with skimmer,fraud investigator .said they will pick a lock at a pump and place it inside.
They used it 14 times for $140 at mainly fast food etc.,probably see if it works,this over 2 day period.I live in FL,fraud in Broollyn & Queens NYC
I was reimbursed 100 percent.

Last edited by DanBev; 07-04-2015 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance