Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 PM

78 posts, read 128,178 times

Advertisements

Thank you all, I was on the fence but now with your advice I am sure I want the peace of mind for my family. I don't want them to be in poverty if something happens to me. I was shocked to find out that my chronic condition increases the typical cost at $400 a year to $1200 a year for someone my age. My company's life insurance is very inexpensive. I get 1 year of salary free and buying 3 years of salary at $20 a month. The only drawback is that you can't take it with you.

Jotuker99, I understand your concerns and actually thought about it a lot before deciding to marry my fiance. My ex has good income so I didn't have to support her. If I am unlucky enough, next time won't be the case. My fiance is young and never married before so I can't drag her along like a divorced woman with kids. Of course, she wants marriage. I am willing to take the risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,396,324 times
It's a good deal for you since you have health issues. I took out a million dollar policy when I was 38. I am healthy, and pay about 650 per year.
You should have a policy that covers your salary for ten years, unless your wife doesn't count on your salary. I hear it all the time on a certain financial radio show, at least once a week someone calls up because their spouse died, no insurance and they become financially screwed. Take care of your family dude. Especially if you are going to have children with her. Best wishes!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,833,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy92683 View Post
Thank you all, I was on the fence but now with your advice I am sure I want the peace of mind for my family. I don't want them to be in poverty if something happens to me. I was shocked to find out that my chronic condition increases the typical cost at $400 a year to $1200 a year for someone my age. My company's life insurance is very inexpensive. I get 1 year of salary free and buying 3 years of salary at $20 a month. The only drawback is that you can't take it with you.

Jotuker99, I understand your concerns and actually thought about it a lot before deciding to marry my fiance. My ex has good income so I didn't have to support her. If I am unlucky enough, next time won't be the case. My fiance is young and never married before so I can't drag her along like a divorced woman with kids. Of course, she wants marriage. I am willing to take the risks.
Jimmy,

Don't let them shame you into signing up for a a very inefficient contract (a marriage license), that benefits YOU none and benefits THEM 100%. If you have some time, could you just READ over this Forum for a minute?

THE LIST (Print It) - Divorce Forum and Child Custody Forum

You can start with that thread but scroll through the Forum to learn how guys just like YOU end up getting screwed over. Oh btw, the guys on that Forum, their women "pressured" them into getting married as well and of course the guys fell for it because society has programmed us to believe in the "quality woman" "she's my soulmate" myth.

There's no such thing as a soul mate and I'm telling you buddy, with you at $120k and she at $30k a year, you are setting yourself up for LIFETIME ALIMONY. That chick will stay married to you for 5-10 years, get her lifetime alimony, and use your money to take care of her loser, drop-out, convicted felon boyfriends. Trust me, just do your research on what's going on out here, I'm willing to bet that this is this chick's plan.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 PM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Jimmy,

Don't let them shame you into signing up for a a very inefficient contract (a marriage license), that benefits YOU none and benefits THEM 100%. If you have some time, could you just READ over this Forum for a minute?

THE LIST (Print It) - Divorce Forum and Child Custody Forum

You can start with that thread but scroll through the Forum to learn how guys just like YOU end up getting screwed over. Oh btw, the guys on that Forum, their women "pressured" them into getting married as well and of course the guys fell for it because society has programmed us to believe in the "quality woman" "she's my soulmate" myth.

There's no such thing as a soul mate and I'm telling you buddy, with you at $120k and she at $30k a year, you are setting yourself up for LIFETIME ALIMONY. That chick will stay married to you for 5-10 years, get her lifetime alimony, and use your money to take care of her loser, drop-out, convicted felon boyfriends. Trust me, just do your research on what's going on out here, I'm willing to bet that this is this chick's plan.
How many states will award lifetime alimony?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:55 PM

78 posts, read 128,178 times
Alimony in CA is half of the marriage length.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,790,392 times
There's a bunch of bitter posters on this thread. Unfortunately YOU GUYS made a bad choice in a mate. I do believe marriage is a contract. But YOU agree to the terms and sign on the line. Back to the OG topic. Hubs and I have life insurance on each other. Like you, we waited until later in age and this affected our premiums. WE pay $85/ per month for me for a 500K policy and $80/month for my husband for a $250k policy. Mine is a 30 year and his is a 20 year. He also has a military pension which I will receive half of if I outlive him. When we finally purchased our policies, I didn't realize that life insurance is primarily for family members who count on your income. In 30 years our kids will have been long gone and that money won't be needed for child rearing. Since we are both working and contributing to the home it's in our best interest to work together as it should be.

The financial amount is a small part of the "problem". Make sure you do pre-marriage counseling, especially if this is your second marriage and her first. If one is a spender and one is a saver, this is more of a problem than the amount of money brought home every month. If you feel so inclined to support your family as the head of household. Good on you. And its a shame that men have been emasculated to not want to the responsibility to be the provider. When we were first married, I out earned him but now his income more than doubles mine.

In my job, I see many old men whose wives are their caregivers. I also see men who don't have anyone to take care of them. Just know that while your wife isn't bringing home the big bucks, she's raising your children and caring for you and your lineage. And it's a known fact that women out live men. Don't be a dumdum, choose wisely. There's more to a woman than big boobs and a smile.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,833,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
There's a bunch of bitter posters on this thread. Unfortunately YOU GUYS made a bad choice in a mate. I do believe marriage is a contract. But YOU agree to the terms and sign on the line.
Jimmy, did you see what this person just said lol? I want to highlight this because this is how society operates.

- When I'm giving guys preventive maintenance by telling them to opt out of marriage, they call me (and guys who think like me) bitter whiners.

- But notice when they refer to the marriage ending, they blame the GUY by saying he just picked the wrong mate and should not have gotten married!

This is why you can't go by society's programming and expectations. There's no benefit for a guy to get married, especially in your situation. Please speak with an Attorney, tell them a guy named "jotucker" told you that you might be on the hook for significant alimony should the marriage end, and see what the Attorney tells you.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 AM

18,551 posts, read 15,629,231 times
Quote:
Yes, in addition to the fact that 1-3 years of salary is awfully skimpy coverage for someone who intends to have more child(ren), the job flexibility matters too.

Quote:

Jotucker has always been extremely anti-marriage and anti-parenting (if everyone thought like that, H. Sapiens would be extinct). You're fine.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,790,392 times
[quote=jotucker99;40589596]Jimmy, did you see what this person just said lol? I want to highlight this because this is how society operates.

- But notice when they refer to the marriage ending, they blame the GUY by saying he just picked the wrong mate and should not have gotten married!

My bad. You do know that women have a choice in the matter too? And we have to do just as much due diligence in picking a partner as well. If you are anti-marriage fine but you shouldn't recommend to someone who has already DECIDED to marry to NOT get married based on YOUR experience.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,580,504 times
OP - whats you plan for taking care of your family if you get killed in an accident and you don't have life insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance