Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,800 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I live in Illinois, and have 20,000 in cc debt. I ran the cards up, and when I lost my job and wasn't able to pay them, I stopped. I'd like to pay the money back now so that I can clean up my credit, but I only make 20,000 a year. Should I just file for bankruptcy, or should I try to re-pay the debt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
If at all possible; try to repay your debt.......a lot has to do what your minimum payments per month are.

Why I say that; a bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 7 years.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If at all possible; try to repay your debt.......a lot has to do what your minimum payments per month are.

Why I say that; a bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 7 years.
So does bad credit. Better to file bankruptcy and get the debt load off your back and your credit and you will be better off in a year or so.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM

609 posts, read 2,118,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
So does bad credit. Better to file bankruptcy and get the debt load off your back and your credit and you will be better off in a year or so.
Bad advice. Pay what you owe even if a little bit per month. You charged it, you pay it. A good lesson in life.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times
Since the bankruptcy laws changed, it's harder to get debts discharged altogether. Please research this angle to figure out how this applies to you. You could file bankruptcy and still have to repay the debt.

Also, if you haven't already, talk to your credit card issuer(s). They may be able to work something out with you.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
Actually a BK will stay on your credit report for 10 years.
As aaauger said there have been many changes in the BK laws
Everyone that files is required to go through credit counseling. Not to mention if you ran the cards up then made no payments there is a chance the creditors will try to dispute the BK. This will depend on the time frame between usage and no payments.
You don't mention your age or living situation.
Have you looked into getting a part time job at nights and on weekends this money can be used directly toward paying the debt.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times
And don't fall for "credit repair" companies. The only thing that will repair your credit is good credit management going forward.

You lose all of your credit cards if you file bankruptcy. You need to verify what happens to other loans if you file bankruptcy. You can't prove that you've learned to manage credit if you don't have any.

You need to understand all of the ramifications of filing bankruptcy (not just the black mark on your credit rating) before making a decision.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead View Post
Should I just file for bankruptcy, or should I try to re-pay the debt?
You should consult a bankruptcy attorney. There's no way anyone here can tell you whether you should file or not because we don't know enough about your particular situation.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead View Post
Hi there. I live in Illinois, and have 20,000 in cc debt. I ran the cards up, and when I lost my job and wasn't able to pay them, I stopped. I'd like to pay the money back now so that I can clean up my credit, but I only make 20,000 a year. Should I just file for bankruptcy, or should I try to re-pay the debt?
Man up and pay it. You spent it, you pay it.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
And don't fall for "credit repair" companies. The only thing that will repair your credit is good credit management going forward.
I had to bold this !!!
credit repair companies are a real pet peeve of mine.

Most secured loans that are current can be reaffirmed

Also as 8 SNAKE posted we can only give you basic information
most initial appointments for a BK consultation are free.

But be sure to ask all the questions. not just the "will it make it go away" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance