Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:53 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,915,636 times

Advertisements

I recently sold some company stock acquired from a company I separated from some years ago. My broker told me they had reached their growth limits and advised me it was time to move on, so he sold those shares. There will be capital gains tax owed at tax time.
I am in the process of selling my home and purchasing a newer, larger home. Obviously the capital gains from my home sale profits will be negated by reinvesting the profits into the more expensive home, so no tax money owed there.
Now for the question, can I say the stocks were sold for the purpose of purchasing the new home and therefore not have to pay taxes on the stock sale.? The home sale CG's and the stock sale CG's would all essentially be reinvested in real estate.
I have ever intention of asking my tax professional when I see him, but why not see what the folks have to say about it? If I could eliminate the tax on the sale of stock, I wouldn't be nearly as grumpy...
Thanks in advance.....
The Grump...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
there has not been a requirement to reinvest the proceeds from your primary residence in many years when you sell it . .

as long as it was your primary the whole time you owned it you can exclude up to 250k in profits if single and 500k if married and are required to re buy nothing .

there are different rules if it was not your primary the entire time you owned it .

so the house basically is what it is whether you buy another or not . nothing gets rolled over anymore .

you cannot combine any other assets in the exclusion , you must pay the taxes on the stock sale .

Old 10-03-2015, 02:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,647,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I recently sold some company stock acquired from a company I separated from some years ago. My broker told me they had reached their growth limits and advised me it was time to move on, so he sold those shares. There will be capital gains tax owed at tax time.
I am in the process of selling my home and purchasing a newer, larger home. Obviously the capital gains from my home sale profits will be negated by reinvesting the profits into the more expensive home, so no tax money owed there.
That rule changed years ago. You can no longer avoid capital gains on your primary home by rolling the proceeds into another primary home. However, you are allowed a profit of 250k (500k if married filing joint) without owing tax provided you have lived in the home at least 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Now for the question, can I say the stocks were sold for the purpose of purchasing the new home and therefore not have to pay taxes on the stock sale.? The home sale CG's and the stock sale CG's would all essentially be reinvested in real estate.
I have ever intention of asking my tax professional when I see him, but why not see what the folks have to say about it? If I could eliminate the tax on the sale of stock, I wouldn't be nearly as grumpy...
Thanks in advance.....
The Grump...
No. If you own other stock with a long-term loss, this would be a good time to sell it.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:03 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Depending on how much you sell your current home for, if the gain is more than 250/500K (single/married) you still will pay capital gains. Unbeknownst to a lot of long time home owners, excusing the gain if you roll the profit into a more expensive house has been eliminated. And that makes ME grumpy.

--guess we all posted the same thing at the same time

Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 PM

they also have different rules if it was a 2nd home or rental and you make it a primary . now the exclusion is prorated .

Old 10-03-2015, 02:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,647,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they also have different rules if it was a 2nd home or rental and you make it a primary . now the exclusion is prorated .

If it was a rental, you will need to recapture depreciation.

There is no proration, you lived in it at least 2 years of the most recent 5 or you didn't. You get the exclusion or you don't.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:38 PM

460 posts, read 779,608 times
What tax bracket is grumpy-old-man in?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 PM

230 posts, read 430,844 times
The stock gain is taxable. The house is irrelevant.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:00 PM

If he is in the 15% tax bracket he may be able to get the zero capital gains bracket.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:37 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
You can sell stock you own that has a loss to off set the gain. Then buy similar stock to what you sold if you want too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance