Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Would Germany be a better place if each citizen received a no-strings-attached government check for $1,100 a month?

Would people still get out of bed each day and go to work or do something else productive even with that unconditional basic income of 1,000 euros, less than half the average German monthly wage, but more than twice what those on welfare receive?

If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything? - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 12:44 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Would Germany be a better place if each citizen received a no-strings-attached government check for $1,100 a month?

Would people still get out of bed each day and go to work or do something else productive even with that unconditional basic income of 1,000 euros, less than half the average German monthly wage, but more than twice what those on welfare receive?
A lot of people wouldn't, especially those at the lower end of the income scale.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything? - LA Times

Of course I would.come out ahead. An extra $1,100 per month would allow me to spend $200 more for housing, which would in turn allow me to get rid of my rented storage unit and consolidate sales inventory at home, with net cost of zero, while increasing sales and profit.

Basic housing is expensive and a poor value for what you get; once you're paying an arm and leg for a roof over your head, you can get much more value for only a few dollars more.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 AM

806 posts, read 959,294 times
There would be people who work, who sleep all day, who buy drugs, who shop all day, who gamble, who gives it away...... basically what people do now.

What a dumb experiment.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A lot of people wouldn't, especially those at the lower end of the income scale.
Why exactly? Because some would be satisfied with it? Because some would waste it on drugs or booze? Because some might spend it on renting a better apartment or buying a car that they could use to get to a better paying job or even to shop at Walmart instead of the local bodega?

I really get sick and tired of the demonization of poor people as "deserving" to be poor because of their bad habits. That's bull manure that enables those who are better off to justify their opposition to programs that could assist many of the poor, especially the working poor, to better themselves.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 AM

629 posts, read 1,722,025 times
From the article it sounds like this is just a crowdfunded experiment, it also says the idea has little to no political support in Germany.

I do think there's something to be said for the Finland model. If I remember correctly Finland is providing a basic income to everyone similar to this, BUT, they're also getting rid of all other benefits. So there'd be no food stamps, no welfare benefits, no unemployment benefits and so on. That eliminates tons of administrative expenses. Almost all of us are getting some form of subsidy, whether it's child tax credits, mortgage interest deductions or full on welfare, so it might make sense to get rid of all the paper work and administrative costs, eliminate all those programs / deductions / credits and just give everyone a direct payment for what they're already getting.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
I do think there's something to be said for the Finland model. If I remember correctly Finland is providing a basic income to everyone similar to this, BUT, they're also getting rid of all other benefits. So there'd be no food stamps, no welfare benefits, no unemployment benefits and so on. That eliminates tons of administrative expenses.
Sounds like an interesting plan. Does anyone know how Finland is handing benefits to the mentally disabled? (And by that I mean the severely retarded, the brain-damaged, the demented, or folks with severe cases of illnesses like schizophrenia; in other words, folks whose no-fault mental condition might preclude them from responsibly handling money.) Does the money go to a designated payee who looks after the disabled person's best interests?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I think it is a stupid idea, but if it happens, that would be fine with me. I'm a landlord and if I know that all my tenants were receiving $1,100 every month for doing nothing but breathing, I'd raise all of my rents.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:26 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
If I received $1,100 a month for nothing, I'd probably just find more stuff to buy and make myself more materialistic.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is a stupid idea, but if it happens, that would be fine with me. I'm a landlord and if I know that all my tenants were receiving $1,100 every month for doing nothing but breathing, I'd raise all of my rents.

Until your tenants build up down payment funds and exit the rental market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance