Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:24 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana'sLegend2 View Post
So, I'm screwed, thanks guys......smh

Thank yourself. Had you paid what was due, when due, you would keep your car, just as I always kept mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:

I think you need to look in the mirror and thank the person you see.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
Bankruptcy??????

Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Bankruptcy??????

is only for debt w/o collateral.

For a car loan, the car is the collateral. Until a loan is paid in full, the lender owns the car, and will properly repo it.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Bankruptcy??????

How about increasing your income and decreasing your expenses? How about selling some of your crap? How about getting another job? How about stop trying to dodge your debt? gheesh

Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
What did you expect? A magical incantation which you could recite while clicking your heals together and throwing unicorn dust over your shoulder? There is no magic fix. There are consequences to the choices you have made. Try to learn from the mistakes you have made and make better choices going forward. That's all any of us can do.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You really can't buy a reliable car these days for $4K. A $4K reliable car is a "friends and family" deal. Any $4K car on a used car lot is going to be very high risk of having expensive mechanical problems. The price spread between a low mileage solid used car and a new econobox with a manufacturers warranty is now so low that it doesn't make sense to buy used in that category. The only used car "deals" tend to be on luxury brands where more than 50% come off lease in 2 or 3 years. Very few late model used cars come on the market unless they have problems where the owner wants to dump it.
Exactly this, which is why used car prices have soared. I'm one of the few folks I know who trade in my cars before they start suffering from old car disease. However, I like to go about 5 or 6 years on them since I drive Subarus. I only traded in my 2008 Subaru in 2012 because the dealership gave me such a great deal on the trade that I couldn't resist it (plus, I like driving new cars). Unless I can get a similar deal on the 2012, I probably won't trade it in this coming spring but keep it another year or two.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
. However, I like to go about 5 or 6 years on them since I drive Subarus. I only traded in my 2008 Subaru in 2012 because the dealership gave me such a great deal on the trade that I couldn't resist it (plus, I like driving new cars). Unless I can get a similar deal on the 2012, I probably won't trade it in this coming spring but keep it another year or two.
We've got a 2007 Outback. Subaru sold something like 177K total vehicles the year we bought it new for $24K. Because it's been a niche market car company that's only really seen huge sales growth in recent years (I think they're going to hit 600K in sales when the numbers for 2015 get added up) there is not much in the way of used inventory and the old ones tend to command a decent premium because they'll run for a long time if you are willing to manage a few known issues.

We've been looking for car #2 lately. When a Subie dealer sees us pull up in the Adventure Wagon, they start to drool over the idea of a trade-in because they know they can offer us $6K on the trade and sell it for $10K+ within a week of inspection and it going on the used lot. But not going to sell it- it's paid for and we did the timing belt at 95K miles and the only other money we've put into the car beyond scheduled maintenance stuff has been $500 to deal with a valve cover issue. It's just hit 106K miles and we figure it's got a lot of life in it yet. It's the POS VW Passat that's effectively dead in our driveway that we're replacing.

Going back to the OP, we just got pre-approved from out credit union for a $25K car loan for a 2014 vehicle or newer. The six year payoff on it is $377 a month. Same credit union would have given the OP a $394 a month payment on his RAV- older vehicle on a 5 year loan, so yeah the terms weren't great, probably from a combination of rolling the old loan into new and a higher interest rate for credit that wasn't great to begin with.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
Well.....seems like I got some work to do.....I couldn't sell that car that a 2012 model at $22,000, credit shot, so refinancing is out....I guess I'll choke myself out and move to a urban area, get another job, pay rent the same as my car note, and struggle for another yr until, I explore selling or refinance

Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly this, which is why used car prices have soared. I'm one of the few folks I know who trade in my cars before they start suffering from old car disease. However, I like to go about 5 or 6 years on them since I drive Subarus. I only traded in my 2008 Subaru in 2012 because the dealership gave me such a great deal on the trade that I couldn't resist it (plus, I like driving new cars). Unless I can get a similar deal on the 2012, I probably won't trade it in this coming spring but keep it another year or two.

Why is OCD so common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance