Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

When interest rates were higher, I cared more about avoiding getting a big refund. At the lousy 1% interest rate in my Ally Bank account and the 28% tax bracket, a $1,000 refund built up by being over by $80.00 per month would be $5.00 in interest and I'd owe a buck+ in Federal income taxes on it. I'm not going to change my W-4 over less than $4.00. My cocktail napkin 2016 tax calculation assuming I only make my base pay shows a $700 refund a year from now. I miss out on $3.00 of possible interest income. Close enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
I think it's more that people don't want the GOVERNMENT making any interest on that money!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
I just fill out the employer forms and don't worry about it. I have better things to spend my time on than worry over small amounts of lost interest.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
We get it, you're wealthy(ish)...thanks for sharing...

The players on the Dallas Mavericks are rich...Mark Cuban, he is Wealthy.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think it's more that people don't want the GOVERNMENT making any interest on that money!
I'll confess it, I don't like the idea that in lending the government money interest free. I know logically it's very little... But it's the principle.

I suppose it sounds like trying to calculate all this might be splitting hairs. But I kind of enojy saving a little or cutting costs as much as I can. It's almost a hobby.

Thanks for the answers!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I ended up owing $400 this year, at $70k gross and claiming 2 (I'm single, don't own a home, take standard deduction). This thread inspired me to lower exemptions to 1. I wouldn't mind a small refund. I originally raised exemptions 2 years ago from 0, where I always got a few grand back, to 2, because I was struggling check to check and needed more money on hand. That's no longer the situation, so I am comfortable making the change back.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I literally write my own paychecks (small business, and I'm the office manager, so I write all the checks), so I just hold out whatever I want. This year, I'll owe about $700 total, which is in my acceptable window. I shoot for owing less than $1000. I've already adjusted for 2016, and will hold out an additional $500ish over the course of the year, so I'll hopefully owe a little less next year.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
I find it comical that there are even concerns about the "lost interest" because we've left the money with the IRS until tax time especially when are taking about such small amounts. Today's interest rates are so low that it doesn't make sense to even worry about it.
BINGO!!! It's an easy way to save up some money if you're not great at saving. Moreover, as I've said before, I don't hate my country, so I'd sooner let the government use my money for free than let bankers do the same.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
I find it comical that there are even concerns about the "lost interest" because we've left the money with the IRS until tax time especially when are taking about such small amounts. Today's interest rates are so low that it doesn't make sense to even worry about it.
Yeah, savings rates are nonexistent these days. I view my tax rebate as sort of an enforced savings discipline. I take out the maximum and get a pretty large rebate every year. I wasn't going to invest that money, after all - it would have just been spent on incidentals. The big rebate lets me knock out a big-ticket item every year - usually something that significantly affects my quality of life.

Last year, I bought a food saver and a chest freezer with some of my rebate. That's been amazing - I spend less on eating out, eat healthier and generally am thrilled to death that I invested in those items. This year, I may be putting it all into a savings account for a while or I may use it to install a fence I've been wanting on my property and pull out some shrubbery.

If you're not making ends meet from month to month, then by all means look for a way to lower what gets pulled out of your paycheck for taxes. But if you've got discretionary income that you're not planning on investing and aren't great about setting money aside, might as well let them take the max
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance