Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

I like the concept of Credit Unions since I believe they are generally non profit and oriented in helping local communities. I've never applied to be a member but would like to. The problem is that I don't seem to fall into any category for membership. I don't belong to a union, my employer doesn't have one, not a teacher and so on. Any advice or is belonging to a credit union just not going to happen for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
There is a back door to everything. I believe for some credit unions you just need to pay a small fee for some association. Just ask them.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I like the concept of Credit Unions since I believe they are generally non profit and oriented in helping local communities. I've never applied to be a member but would like to. The problem is that I don't seem to fall into any category for membership. I don't belong to a union, my employer doesn't have one, not a teacher and so on. Any advice or is belonging to a credit union just not going to happen for me?

Many credit unions are "community" credit unions where membership is open to anyone who lives and/or works in a specified location. Community credit union membership is often based on county of residence or employment - my credit union covers an area of something like a dozen counties - but I think some credit unions are based at a city or neighborhood level, e.g. people who live or work in a city's downtown.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
There is a back door to everything. I believe for some credit unions you just need to pay a small fee for some association. Just ask them.
Some allow you in if you live in neighborhood too.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
You can type in your location on this website, and it will pull up a list of CUs that serve your area --

Home Page

Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM

251 posts, read 203,747 times
Most of the credit unions out my way are employer-affiliated. I've noticed that while these offer more services and better fee schedules than the purely community-credit ones, they're both better than banks for service and financial education.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We belong to two, both required only an initial deposit of $5 to join. BECU was originally just for Boeing employees, but is now open to all WA residents. The other, Sound Credit Union, started for employees of a utility in Tacoma, now open to anyone living or working in the state.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

That's the 'other' type of credit union, "association" based where membership in an organization qualifies you to join.

There are many employer based credit unions where everyone who works for the employer is eligible.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Marion760:

Either go online and do a search for the credit unions around you to find out membership requirements.
OR visit one or two or three an ASK what their membership requirements are. They WON'T turn you away at the door or require a special knock or code word to get in!

THE CUs in my area all are membership based on one {or more} of these:

1} where you work-specific companies that created the credit union or do business with that credit union
2} WHere you live: could be certain towns/cities OR County, OR region OR state
3}Town/city/county/region WHere you go to school-any type of school
4} WHere you worship: again, in certain towns/cities/counties

SO GO IN or GO ONLINE and find out the requirements, then check rates for the ones you can join and join the one that best suits you in locations, services, and rates.

Best of luck in findIng one perfect for you ...you will never go back to A BANK...

Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
The areas where I've lived had a few top-of-the-CU-food-chain CUs, and a bunch of smaller ones, some with only one branch office. Those tended to be specific to some union or employer or what not. Just see who has the most branches in your area and look at their website to see if you qualify. The biggest one in the Tri-Cities was HAPO, so I called them up:

"Hi. I would like to join the credit union. I am not sure if I qualify."
"Great. Do you live in the Tri-Cities?"
"Yes."
"You qualify. Just come on in to any convenient HAPO branch and we'll take care of you."

Note that HAPO stands for Hanford Area something something, but that I did not work at Hanford, nor did anyone at HAPO ask me if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance