Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
This person gets stressed about $2600 of credit card debt. Credit cards aren't for everyone. Pay them both off immediately. Cut up the cards.
We might be better off if more people got stressed about $2600 in credit card debt.

Rather than people who run up $30k and just declare bankruptcy.

I haven't carried a balance on my credit cards (Short of a $500 balance during a no-interest promo period on a Lowe's card) for over 2 years.

I wind up getting charged 10 cents interest on a card and i'm ticked off.

Just saying that stressing about carrying debt at all.. So long as it's not OVER stressing about it.. Isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Pay off both of them. Don't close the accounts. Closing them could affect your credit history, and your FICO score.
Knowing your spending habits, in the future pay your credit cards IN FULL every month. That way they will not accumulate.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 PM

100 posts, read 155,509 times
I cut the $743 one up already, and actually it may have been a mistake but.. on the card that has a 10.25 interest rate.. it did have a $4500 credit limit, but I'm scared and don't trust myself with it. So I called the cc company and asked for a credit reduction... I wanted it brought down to a $2000 limit and they did it for me.

I know some of you will say that's stupid, it's hurts your credit score ect. But I really don't care. At the end of the day I feel like a weight has been lofted off of me now that it only has a $2,000 limit.

I've learned my lesson about cc debt. Won't ever happen again.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
I cut the $743 one up already, and actually it may have been a mistake but.. on the card that has a 10.25 interest rate.. it did have a $4500 credit limit, but I'm scared and don't trust myself with it. So I called the cc company and asked for a credit reduction... I wanted it brought down to a $2000 limit and they did it for me.

I know some of you will say that's stupid, it's hurts your credit score ect. But I really don't care. At the end of the day I feel like a weight has been lofted off of me now that it only has a $2,000 limit.

I've learned my lesson about cc debt. Won't ever happen again.
It probably didn't hurt your score too much. Where it hurt is the payments you made.. It probably washed out the gains.

Let's say both cards had 4500 limits.

You went from 1900+743=2643 out of 9000 used, which is 29.4% utilization.

Now, you're at 1900/6500 used, which is 29.2% utilization.

So, your credit score should basically be unaffected. However.. Had you NOT had the limit lowered, you would be at 21% usage.. Which. Would have improved you a small number of points.. 20-ish, maybe?

You WANT to be under 10% usage.

Just to give some details.. I've had an 813 credit score for quite a while.. In November, I took out a $2500 personal loan for house repairs. So, i've added debt and created a hard pull on my credit there. I paid that loan off in early February.. I also requested a credit increase on my credit card.. They took it from $5k to $13k.. So, that's another hard pull.

My credit score went from 813 down to in the 780's.. And has rebounded.. I pulled it on Friday and it's back up to 819. So, things change really quick.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM

100 posts, read 155,509 times
Man you have more control than I do... I wouldn't trust myself with a 13K credit card.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If you have reliable income stream just pay them off. No reason to have much of an emergency fund if you're carrying credit card debt and have a reliable income stream. Since it's going
... unless you're on a 0% APR promotion, which the OP admittedly is not.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:55 AM

279 posts, read 544,599 times
Personal Budget & Finance Software for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android

You need a budget

Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Man you have more control than I do... I wouldn't trust myself with a 13K credit card.
Time. I'm guessing here that you're likely in your early to mid 20's?

I was in your boat at that time. Now, remember, this is 'back in the day'.. Mid 90's.. I had a $1000 limit credit card, it was constantly maxxed out... I wound up cutting it up, paid it off.. Closed the account.

Then, in '97, I bought my first new vehicle.. Perfect record on the payments. Bought another in '05, perfect record.. Bought a house in '07.. I'm so far ahead on payments for it.. In between there somewhere, I got a card again, when I thought I was responsible enough.. And I haven't carried a balance on it for over 2 years.. I buy all my gas on it.. I'm due to get about a $100 rebate for that next month.. Have a hundred or so in cash back built up on it.. That's all free money.

Now.. The DOWNSIDE of having really good credit is that I get massive numbers of mailers. They all go right in the trash. My CC interest is right around 10% with no annual fee (USAA World Mastercard) and nothing beats that. Nothing. 9.15% interest.. Prime + 5.65.

But, the part you will learn is you look at your bank account and think "This is how much money I have". You don't think "I have $100 in my bank account and $5000 available on my credit card".

I mean, I've got $50k or so in various 401ks and IRAs.. But.. I don't think of that as money that I have.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:10 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but it's good to learn self discipline at any age. If you want to make any kind of changes in your life, it’s self-discipline that will help you reach your goal.
Hiding the toys is something for children. As an adult you get many temptations, so you need to learn how to control them. You can do it by changing your habit and having a motivation.
Search the web - there is a help...
Here for start:
Eliminate Financial Problems Through Self Discipline
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance