Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times

Advertisements

Tarajane:
It depends on WHAT you get with a card:

I have 2 cards that "pay me back" for usage, but have higher interest rates, should I need to not pay it off.

I have one card with low credit limit but has a very low fixed interest.

I have another card with a high credit limit {should I need it, and while in use positively affects my debt to credit usage rate}, but a lower adjustable interest rate.

I have one card that is a very high interest rate, but has been a card I have held for a long time, shutting it own could adversely affect my credit.

I have a joint store card form Walmart, due to good standing with them, they converted it to a Walmart general use mastercard account with higher limit, at a reasonable interest rate.

I have a joint gas card...I get $0.08 OFF a gallon of gas, and if you pay before the due date, gets you $0.05 additional off. Can't beat saving on gas!

plus I have a repair shop credit card I get 6 months interest free if paid off by then, so if hit with a high vehicle repair bill, I can spread payments out over the 5 months out of current income instead of dipping into savings!

Get a GAS CARD ONLY if it does something similar, otherwise you can use your regular card at gas stations. SOme, Like DIscover {which I hold} will occasionally offer cash back extras at gas stations, so I use it then instead of the gas card when gas is high as 5% cash back often gives me a better deal than the gas card does....

I don't eliminate an older more expensive card for a couple reasons:
1} the length of time held helps my credit score
2} the available credit to credit usage remains high and good to help my credit score
3} I have one card I only use out of town so If it gets compromise I have an idea where
4} I have one card I only use online ordering so when It gets compromised, I know how {both 3 and 4 have happened to me
5} when a Card DOES get compromised, while I await the arrival of the new card, I am not totally cardless {3 and 4 have happened far more than I'd like}

It iS up to YOU how many cards you want to hold, but if you find a better deal as you go along in life, DON't shut down a longer standing older card as it will ding your credit score, your credit score will recover in time, but it will also change your credit usage to credit available schedule-even if you are one who pays off each month-as while in use, at any time you have credit used against your available credit line it will give you a rating.

I have something like $55K of available credit on credit cards total. I NEVER use anywhere near that!

Just food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance