Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but it sounds like you're dating the wrong women. .......
No slam from me. I agree entirely.

BTW, women have their own cost issues. Women's clothing is way more expensive even for the basics. Women are pretty much expected to spend on clothing, hair care, cosmetics, jewelry, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM

462 posts, read 550,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
The fact that he is expected to pay most of the time when dating several women seems like it would be harder to stock money away. Most women can multi-date and not expected to pay for anything but if a man goes on three 1st dates he is expected to pay on all of those dates. Plus whatever I take out of my account to save the money that is left over has to last me 4 weeks because I can only save once a month. The check I take money out of is the non-rent check which is the middle of the month check. The last check of the month goes mostly toward rent and I have about $115 or a little more leftover. I haven't dated since December and I can already see the difference in my account from January to April. But once I start going out on dates again that's when I feel everything changes. Plus if you hit it off with a women she doesn't offer to pay until date 3 or 4 so that's another reason why saving may become challenging.

First dates should always be inexpensive dates- coffee or a drink after work. If the woman you are dating has a problem with that she is not for you. That solves one issue.

The good news: once you get married or start living with a woman your expenses are cut in half, so that will make up for the dating expenses.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
First dates should always be inexpensive dates- coffee or a drink after work. If the woman you are dating has a problem with that she is not for you. That solves one issue.

The good news: once you get married or start living with a woman your expenses are cut in half, so that will make up for the dating expenses.
That assumes your wife works.

My wife lost her job and things are tough on my income alone. She's found some gigs but nothing yet that equals what her old job paid. Not her fault, though, she is trying.

Being a woman does cost more; I never realized that before I was married. Their health care stuff is more, make-up, hair & various hygiene products are damned expensive. Unlike men's hygeine there are actual differences in the cheap women's shampoos vs. expensive ones. Their clothes are more expensive generally, and unlike men they're supposed to have much more variety. While all of that is technically optional, society will judge women negatively for not participating in those games - especially other women.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
UFB!! That is a notion that is right out of the early part of the last century.

I take it you are not married and not sharing living arrangements.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Do I think it's harder for a single man to save money than to what?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Do I think it's harder for a single man to save money than to what?
I think he is saying it is harder for a single man to save money than for a single woman to save. Anyway we will let him dig his own grave with his explanation.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
UFB!! That is a notion that is right out of the early part of the last century.

I take it you are not married and not sharing living arrangements.

I'm married and once we started living together total expenses went down for the both of us

Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,906 times
I would say that hasn't been my experience, but I've been with the woman who is now my wife since we were 18 and 16. I've been frugal all my life and have been investing since 15. My wife started working was she was 14 and earned below minimum wage at the local water park. She's now an attorney, which is a field where the pay discrepancy isn't nearly as bad as in other fields, yet the promotional track shows favor towards males. I retired from the workforce at 28 and have been an individual investor focusing on our passive income. I have no problem saving money and don't feel pressure at all to spend money on cars, expensive clothes, or jewelry. Don't get me wrong, we spend way more than I ever intended to on leisure, but we have to balance work and fun. We are members of 4 vineyards, have box seats at the Hollywood Bowl, go sailing on the weekends, and get a stamp in our passports every year.

To address your original question, I'd say women have it much harder than men as they typically earn 70 cents on the dollar and face a more expensive cost of living ("pink tax"). Furthermore, the cost of rearing children and the potential for divorce leaves women in a less favorable position compared to men. Thinking about things through if I were to date someone, I would take them out for an average night out so we can get to know our real selves. I would forego the expensive dinner or theater and just go somewhere that's nice and normal. I would attempt to impress them with my charm, wit, and conversation skills. I'd offer to pay, but she'd score bonus points if she wouldn't expect me to or offered to pay herself. The fancy meal would come on the 3rd date, which is pretty much the ratio my wife and I enjoy. Frankly, I don't see the point in spending a bunch of money on prospects that won't go anywhere…but I've been an investor for the majority of my life!

I don't know if my advice would give you the results you're looking for, but I guarantee you'll have an easier time saving money. My wife jokes that my perspective might be quite unique since I've never been starved for…let's just call it affection (if there's kids in the room).

Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post

To address your original question, I'd say women have it much harder than men as they typically earn 70 cents on the dollar and face a more expensive cost of living ("pink tax"). .....
I guess you have not paid any attention to the current research findings. Men and women with equal work experience are typically approaching parity. Women with children often drop out of the workforce and there is a huge penalty when it comes to career success and pay. BTW, in my extended family, no females have been at home. Instead 3 males have taken over child care. All 3 are now back in the workforce but their careers suffered and the women are making the big bucks.

Even ignoring traditional child care, women are succeeding in the workplace. Women now comprise a large percentage of new physicians and scientists. Many exclusive private colleges are facing acute admissions issues. Many have tried to have a 50:50 female:male ratio. Most have given up and are trying for a 60:40 ratio. In order to achieve that, they need to make special accommodations in to admit more males who are less qualified than the females. The days of the stay at home housewife and the blonde bimbos have largely past. Educators are trying to figure out what happened and how they can improve academic performance for males. Large corporations need teamwork and a different approach than the old pyramid model. Women seem to fit better with the new workplace matrix models.

Don't worry about the women. That is just out of date political rhetoric. Start worrying about what is going downhill with male performance in academia and the workplace.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I guess you have not paid any attention to the current research findings. Men and women with equal work experience are typically approaching parity. Women with children often drop out of the workforce and there is a huge penalty when it comes to career success and pay. BTW, in my extended family, no females have been at home. Instead 3 males have taken over child care. All 3 are now back in the workforce but their careers suffered and the women are making the big bucks.

Even ignoring traditional child care, women are succeeding in the workplace. Women now comprise a large percentage of new physicians and scientists. Many exclusive private colleges are facing acute admissions issues. Many have tried to have a 50:50 female:male ratio. Most have given up and are trying for a 60:40 ratio. In order to achieve that, they need to make special accommodations in to admit more males who are less qualified than the females. The days of the stay at home housewife and the blonde bimbos have largely past. Educators are trying to figure out what happened and how they can improve academic performance for males. Large corporations need teamwork and a different approach than the old pyramid model. Women seem to fit better with the new workplace matrix models.

Don't worry about the women. That is just out of date political rhetoric. Start worrying about what is going downhill with male performance in academia and the workplace.
And yet, approximately 40% of women with small children stay home with them.

Women's Bureau (WB) Latest Annual Data - Labor force participation rates of mothers by age of children, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, 2014 annual averages (text version)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance