Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef14 View Post
Aside from my regular job I made about 5,000 dollars working under the table. I won't be reporting that money...not really cheating though
How do you figure tax fraud isn't really cheating. Some of my work ends up being under the table as the client is too disorganized to report it. I still claim that income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times
No cheating here. I paid an accountant for the first time in a long time because I had a LOT of complicated life events happen last year and it would have been a bear for me to figure it all out. That said, my CPA is a former IRS auditor, so she knows all the best, legit ways to let me keep the most money possible.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Aside from my regular job I made about 5,000 dollars working under the table. I won't be reporting that money...not really cheating though
Of course it's cheating. And what's to prevent the IRS from reading this, getting a warrant to learn your IP address, and auditing you? You just admitted to tax fraud on the internet.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I would never omit charitable deductions out of fear!

And yes, we were audited on it once.
I had all the asked-for documentation, so it was no problem at all.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Totally cheating.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
No, I didn't cheat. I'm too scared to do that! But 2015 was the first year since 1991 that I didn't own a business and I have to say that tax day is a whole lot less stressful when you don't have a business. So much less to keep track of and no big checks to write to the IRS on April 15th. I always finished my taxes on the very last day when I owned a business. This year my taxes were done by the end of January.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:06 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would never omit charitable deductions out of fear!

And yes, we were audited on it once.
I had all the asked-for documentation, so it was no problem at all.
I do omit some donations, largely those of material goods to Goodwill, as they are a bit of a pain to document and I don't want to get into an argument with the IRS about how much a pile of old (but still wearable) clothes is worth. But most of my donations are made with cash, and I always claim all of those.

And like you, I had the IRS question my charitable contribution figures one year, and it was no problem to prove that the amount I had claimed was correct. (The biggest hassle was they wanted proof of payment as well as the donation letters from the charities, and some of those payments had been made by check. Who gets checks back from the bank any more? I had to have the bank print out copies of the canceled checks, which took a bit of time to arrange. Now I just use a credit card for those donations, and it's all much easier.)

Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM

21 posts, read 15,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How do you figure tax fraud isn't really cheating. Some of my work ends up being under the table as the client is too disorganized to report it. I still claim that income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Totally cheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Of course it's cheating. And what's to prevent the IRS from reading this, getting a warrant to learn your IP address, and auditing you? You just admitted to tax fraud on the internet.
What would the IRS get if I reported it? Maybe 2k at the most. If they audit me how would they be able to find the 5,000 of extra income? Me admitting it on the internet means nothing.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Cheat?

Good lord no. I have been audited three times already.

I file my taxes every year. I am completely honest with my income tax filing.

I have not had an Income Tax obligation since 1983. I do not pay into Income Taxation, I do not let my employer with-hold any money from my paychecks for Income Taxation, and I do not receive an Income Tax 'refund'.

Exactly zero of my money goes into Income Taxes.

I have never cheated on my taxes.

When I was working, my wife and I both took tax courses the IRS offers, taught by auditors. We were both certified tax preparers for about 10 years. There were a few times when I was tax-exempt due to my combat status, though we maintained our income fully tax-sheltered the whole time anyway. Once you establish a good habit, best to keep in practice.

Now I am retired so it is much easier to remain tax-sheltered.

You should never cheat on your taxes.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
What would the IRS get if I reported it? Maybe 2k at the most. If they audit me how would they be able to find the 5,000 of extra income? Me admitting it on the internet means nothing.
I don't think you have a clue about what it could cost you. IRS fraud is not like a $100 speeding ticket.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Related-Stat...-General-Fraud
Quote:
Any person who willfully attempts to evade or defeat any tax imposed by this title or the payment thereof shall, in addition to other penalties provided by law, be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof:
  • Shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years
  • Or fined not more than $250,000 for individuals ($500,000 for corporations)
  • Or both, together with the costs of prosecution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance