Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 02:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,437,685 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised the author of this article was willing to put his name on it.

Shame shame.... so many poor decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,580,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I couldn't believe when I saw phlebotomists at my job make in the low $20s---some random person can just train you and you don't even need certification.

Trust But Certify!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Low income people are sometimes just too lazy and careless to save money. Eating out too often makes a serious dent to finances if our income is too low. One should learn Cooking Food at home. Making a Sandwich and Coffee is not Rocket Science. One should be careful in using Utilities like AirConditioning, Heating or things like Phone Data plans. Use them as per need. Some people just spend money on having lots of shoes, clothes, jackets. All these expenses can be controlled.

??? ??? How does one Cook Food at home when one has only a hot plate? (There were times I was in that boat.)

Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You could have it as an elective. You'd be able to tell who is likely to be a responsible saver and spender by who chooses to take the course. Credit card companies could charge lower interest rates to people who have completed it.

What if the course-taker ends up flipping burgers for a living?

Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM

37,823 posts, read 46,381,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That makes no sense. Burger flippers are doing the same thing today they were doing 50 years ago. 50 years ago, their wage would pay for a place for them to live and put food on the table. Now it doesn't. It has nothing to do with building skills. It has to do with everything costing more now and pay staying the same.
I don't know about 50 years ago, but 40 years ago, that was definitely NOT the case, at least not around here.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,717,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? How does one Cook Food at home when one has only a hot plate? (There were times I was in that boat.)
You dont need fancy Kitchen Gadgets or Gourmet Cooking Courses to make Food at Home. All Low Income people have a basic kitchen in their dwellings. As long as you have a basic Kitchen Stove and a Sink, Food can be cooked.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:38 PM

6,428 posts, read 6,961,823 times
Quote:
What if the course-taker ends up flipping burgers for a living?
Statistically, some will. But credit card companies work with the law of large numbers, and people who care enough about their finances to take a course in it *in high school* are pretty good bets - on average.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,453,463 times
Quote:
I've cooked meals for myself and husband for up to a week at a time using a backpacking stove and simple cook kit. It's not particularly hard. Hot plate, small saucepan w/ lid, small skillet, plate, drinking cup, set of flatware, and a source of clean water. Done. A dorm fridge is a nice luxury but not essential.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:54 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,250,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I stopped sympathizing when I read that the author cashed out his 401K to pay for his daughter's wedding.

Some people are not future oriented.
Economically, he and his wife did just about everything wrong they could possibly do and then he whines about how "that wasn't supposed to be how things worked", as if stagnant wages were part of his real problem rather than not thinking.

This article is like a couple of others that have been posted recently that attempt to give faces to national problems but totally miss the boat.
  • There was an article in the Retirement forum a few months ago that purported to be about "retirees who were too poor to retire", which is a real concern/fear for many Americans. The problem with the article was it profiled 1 individual and 2 couples who were RV-ing full time and supplementing their retirement funds with part-time jobs.
  • Then there was an article either in this forum or in education about how "massive student loans are preventing couple from retiring!" which also turned out to be a whole lot of BS. Apparently, the upper middle class parents didn't save much for their kids college but instead took out private loans to the tune of $180k, which was complicated by the Great Recession. Big sob story until you find out that the couple is in their late fifties and are complaining because they can't retire early and travel the world -- and that they're supporting son with $120k in loans for his bachelor degree who's in LA waiting tables and trying to become an actor because he's so creative. ....
There are a lot of people struggling economically in this country, and it's primarily because family (and household) income has been stalled for about 20 years. The median family income in 2016 is about the same as it was in 1996 ... that's NOT in inflation-adjusted dollars, but face value dollars. Others have been slapped around by off-shoring, automation, recession, age discrimination. Some have truly tried to "do the right thing" to improve their lives but are still struggling for various reasons. These are stories that need faces, not self-indulgent well-off people who pile their newest bad decision upon the previous one.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,250,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
This makes no sense. If daycare costs all of one partner's income, they are not saving anything for retirement. If daycare costs more than their income, they are paying to work. And don't forget the tax situation of a married couple. One income is taxed entirely at the top marginal rate of the couple, so if the other partner earns a good wage they could be paying the nanny $20 an hour (for more hours than the parent works because of travel time) and only earning $20 of their $30 an hour nominal income. And that's $62,400 a year, which puts you in the top 45%, and paying for the priviledge of working.
The thing is that the girls were in school when they moved to East Hampton since they moved there so they wouldn't have to pay private school tuition. They wouldn't have needed a nanny, just before/after school care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance