Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You have no valid reason to know the financial status of anyone besides yourself.
Except that's not true. I can think of at least one very valid reason: knowing if you're being fairly paid for your services. How can you know if the salary you are being offered for a particular job is a fair one if you have no basis for comparison? (Google Lilly Ledbetter to see what I mean.)

Quote:
The harm comes along when someone expects their meal to be paid for because they think they know the other person can afford it. So in turn the other person *should* be generous and pay, all the time, because, you know, they make more and have more and should share with the broke yet entitled.
Nonsense. The harm don't come because the other person knows what you earn, the harm comes because that person is an entitled jackass and think they are owed.

If I had lunch with Warren Buffett, I wouldn't expect Warren to pick up my tab, even though I'm pretty sure he earns a lot more than I ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
You have no valid reason to know the financial status of anyone besides yourself.
Ditto, Aredhel.
Perhaps I have no reason to know the financial status of anyone at a party that I casually meet. But the quoted comment as a blanket statement, with no clarification, is just not true

I was the POA for my mom and my elderly aunt and needed to know their finances.

And I think a lot more adult children should know the finances of their parents. Try caregiving for a loved one and not knowing or managing their finances…... so you can know what services they can afford or qualify for.

Trust me, you don't want to be shocked to find out your parents need an aide to help them out two days a week, but they're broke or deep in debt. Did you know that many states have filial responsibility laws that can make you responsible for your parents welfare/care or debts?

I am the most financially savvy or aware sibling in the family. I discuss and know about the finances of all of them. I've educated them about lowering credit card interest, refinancing, 401K allocations, etc. I know their finances -- so what?

From this thread I've gotten another reminder that I am blessed to have the best friends and family members. We argue about getting to be the one to pick up the tab. We never argue about nitpicking to split a tab. I don't know any one who would presume I'd pick up a tab.

Last edited by selhars; 05-06-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2016, 10:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Except that's not true. I can think of at least one very valid reason: knowing if you're being fairly paid for your services. How can you know if the salary you are being offered for a particular job is a fair one if you have no basis for comparison? (Google Lilly Ledbetter to see what I mean.)
Nonsense. The harm don't come because the other person knows what you earn, the harm comes because that person is an entitled jackass and think they are owed.
If I had lunch with Warren Buffett, I wouldn't expect Warren to pick up my tab, even though I'm pretty sure he earns a lot more than I ever will.
You know what, I am not going to argue with you, whatever you believe must be the truth.
If you want to know for sure that you are being paid fairly.......open your own business and let me know how fair you pay yourself.
I have no need to google Lilly Ledbetter.
I believe that is what I stated.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
If you want to know for sure that you are being paid fairly.......open your own business and let me know how fair you pay yourself.
I have no need to google Lilly Ledbetter.
You actually DO need to google Lilly Ledbetter if that's your response.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Ditto, Aredhel.
Perhaps I have no reason to know the financial status of anyone at a party that I casually meet. But the quoted comment as a blanket statement, with no clarification, is just not true

I was the POA for my mom and my elderly aunt and needed to know their finances.

And I think a lot more adult children should know the finances of their parents. Try caregiving for a loved one and not knowing or managing their finances…... so you can know what services they can afford or qualify for.
Trust me, you don't want to be shocked to find out your parents need an aide to help them out two days a week, but they're broke or deep in debt. Did you know that many state have filial responsibility laws that can make you responsible for your parents welfare/care or debts?
I am the most financially savvy or aware sibling in the family. I discuss and know about the finances of all of them. I've educated them about lowering credit card interest, refinancing, 401K allocations, etc. I know their finances -- so what?
From this thread I've gotten another reminder that I am blessed to have the best friends and family members. We argue about getting to be the one to pick up the tab. We never argue about nitpicking to split a tab. I don't know any one who would presume I'd pick up a tab.
I stated what I did only in the context of the original post NOT specific situations as you have attempted to move the topic to. There is no need for clarification when going with the original post, so the blanket statement within that context is true.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You actually DO need to google Lilly Ledbetter if that's your response.
No, actually the only thing I *need* happens to be my choice.
I don't care who Lilly Ledbetter is and have no desire to find out.
Bless You.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
if you make a lot of money, the fastest way to lose your friends is to tell them how much you make.

more often than not, it's human nature, somehow we all need something to make ourselves feel better, earning is one of them.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
I agree that finances should discussed more openly. But I am more comfortable talking about the subject in a generic sort of way, less specific.

Plus, my family is not particularly high income, nor great with money. Nor do they have jobs in accounting or finance or anything that would be relevant to a financial discussion.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't care who Lilly Ledbetter is and have no desire to find out.
So you're OK with companies violating the Fair Employment and Housing Act by deliberately and systematically underpaying certain employees for decades based solely on their race, sex, age, or religion? Because that is what happened to Lilly Ledbetter - and a big part of why the company was able to get away with it was that the company's employees were strictly forbidden to compare their salaries.

(As someone upthread mentioned, in many government jobs the wage scale is public knowledge. One nice side effect of that is that such systematic discrimination can't be easily hidden, so it's less likely to be attempted in the first place.)

Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
No it doesn't, ignorance breeds ignorance.
The harm comes along when someone expects their meal to be paid for because they think they know the other person can afford it. So in turn the other person *should* be generous and pay, all the time, because, you know, they make more and have more and should share with the broke yet entitled.

What harm is it really if someone expects you to pay for a meal? I'd tell them no and that would be the end of the story.

I don't need to know most anyone's financial information but it wouldn't harm you if I did, at the very least it wouldn't harm you if I knew your income.

Secrecy in terms of personal fiance does breed ignorance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance