Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:35 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Strange less liquidity and flexibility causes more discomfort than the warm feeling of a paid off mortgage
Why the dismissiveness and generalization?

We made the goal to pay off our homes and we reached our goal.. awesome for us!

So what's your problem?

Need I point out to you that paying off a mortgage and washing out an emergency fund are, probably in most situations, mutually exclusive events?

I do have a warm feeling of paying off the mortgage, but I also have temporary discomfort from using a lot of my emergency fund..

Yet I still have nearly $20k in the bank... maybe that amount makes me uncomfortable, for a lot of people that would be a most welcome balance.

There are several people that even choose not to keep $20k in their account, preferring to invest or holding their emergency funds in CD ladders.

Sure, I took a bigger risk.. either my husband takes the job and I'm uncomfortable until August or he stays put and I"m uncomfortable until July.

Like I said earlier: In three pay checks this will be totally behind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Why the dismissiveness and generalization?

We made the goal to pay off our homes and we reached our goal.. awesome for us!

So what's your problem?

Need I point out to you that paying off a mortgage and washing out an emergency fund are, probably in most situations, mutually exclusive events?

I do have a warm feeling of paying off the mortgage, but I also have temporary discomfort from using a lot of my emergency fund..

Yet I still have nearly $20k in the bank... maybe that amount makes me uncomfortable, for a lot of people that would be a most welcome balance.

There are several people that even choose not to keep $20k in their account, preferring to invest or holding their emergency funds in CD ladders.

Sure, I took a bigger risk.. either my husband takes the job and I'm uncomfortable until August or he stays put and I"m uncomfortable until July.

Like I said earlier: In three pay checks this will be totally behind me.

Nothing dismissive just something I found interesting given past discussions

In other words if you waited 3 paychecks to pay off your mortgage there would have been no discomfort?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Nothing dismissive just something I found interesting given past discussions

In other words if you waited 3 paychecks to pay off your mortgage there would have been no discomfort?
"I find it interesting"..

I hear this phrase amongst a certain socioeconomic class. I used to hear it a lot when my husband was in academia...

In their case, as in yours, it's said in a manner that presents itself with a sense of objectivity, but really, one communicates disapproval or reproach. I also understand from previous discussions how you really feel. Don't even bother with the pretense.

But to answer the question: ABSOLUTELY. My 2016 goal was to pay off the mortgage on July 5 and have a remaining balance of $30k or so. That's about as much liquidity as we ever keep anyway.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
"I find it interesting"..

I hear this phrase amongst a certain socioeconomic class. I used to hear it a lot when my husband was in academia...

In their case, as in yours, it's said in a manner that presents itself with a sense of objectivity, but really, one communicates disapproval or reproach. I also understand from previous discussions how you really feel. Don't even bother with the pretense.

But to answer the question: ABSOLUTELY. My 2016 goal was to pay off the mortgage on July 5 and have a remaining balance of $30k or so. That's about as much liquidity as we ever keep anyway.

There is no disapproval of reproach. You attempt to inject what you feel my feelings are and you couldn't be more off base I couldn't care less how your personal situation works out. I do find your commentary interesting based on our previous discussion about paying off your mortgage and the flexibility it gives you.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
There is no disapproval of reproach. You attempt to inject what you feel my feelings are and you couldn't be more off base I couldn't care less how your personal situation works out. I do find your commentary interesting based on our previous discussion about paying off your mortgage and the flexibility it gives you.
What do you find interesting? There isn't anything remarkable or interesting about it. I had a mortgage, now I don't. Now I have an extra $1200 in my account each month to do as I please.. in other words: options! That's the definition of flexibility!

Old 05-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
What do you find interesting? There isn't anything remarkable or interesting about it. I had a mortgage, now I don't. Now I have an extra $1200 in my account each month to do as I please.. in other words: options! That's the definition of flexibility!
You just expressed some angst with your lack of liquidity. Absence your choice to pay off the mortgage earlier than planned, you would have had more flexibility and liquidity. It really was the crux of the disagreement we had and shortly after you post about the lack of liquidity and clearly still don't see the connection. That to me is interesting

Old 05-20-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You just expressed some angst with your lack of liquidity. Absence your choice to pay off the mortgage earlier than planned, you would have had more flexibility and liquidity. It really was the crux of the disagreement we had and shortly after you post about the lack of liquidity and clearly still don't see the connection. That to me is interesting
It is the lack of emergency fund that is presenting a temporary lack of flexibility and liquidity and, in a way, it has nothing to do with being mortgage free. Your second response in this thread suggested that it was because I paid off my mortgage that I am uncomfortable.

Being mortgage free is irrelevant.

But go ahead.. keep believing that it's all about the mortgage pay off...

Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
It is the lack of emergency fund that is presenting a temporary lack of flexibility and liquidity and, in a way, it has nothing to do with being mortgage free. Your second response in this thread suggested that it was because I paid off my mortgage that I am uncomfortable.

Being mortgage free is irrelevant.

But go ahead.. keep believing that it's all about the mortgage pay off...

If you hadn't paid off the mortgage your emergency fund would be fine. Also if you waited three paycheck periods your emergency fund would be fine as well. It's clear mathematically paying off the mortgage certainly put a liquidity pinch on your situation

Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
If you hadn't paid off the mortgage your emergency fund would be fine. Also if you waited three paycheck periods your emergency fund would be fine as well. It's clear mathematically paying off the mortgage certainly put a liquidity pinch on your situation
I could have used the money to buy a car or trip around the world. I could have bought something at Tiffany's. It doesn't matter what I spent the money on (well, it does to me). I took the risk. I'm uncomfortable.

Two more paychecks....

Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Congrats to ya, I wish I even had the chance to buy a house. Hopefully sometime in the future. I have hope. Renting is just not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance