Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times

Advertisements

we both have life insurance through the employer 3x annual gross salary (we both have same coverage) both work for same employer.... the policies are extremely cheap

we feel 3x should be enough as we have no dependents.

if either of us croaks the other will get 3x the others annual salary.... that should do it, we are both working and young-ish

are the commissions that much higher on life insurance?

back when I sold Cars, I would push the customer toward used even if they specifically asked about new

I could sell 1 or 2 new cars everyday and starve to death, while just one used car a week would keep me in "hog heaven"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
The only counterpoint about having life insurance through one's employer is if you are let go/quit etc., you will be purchasing it at a later date on the open market (if desired). Typically with life insurance the younger you are when you buy the cheaper the rate, and it gets a lot more expensive the later on in life you are buying it. Just something to consider. We don't have life insurance except through our employers as well, but we have enough where if one of us dies the other wouldn't be in a financial burden.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
we both have life insurance through the employer 3x annual gross salary (we both have same coverage) both work for same employer.... the policies are extremely cheap

we feel 3x should be enough as we have no dependents.

if either of us croaks the other will get 3x the others annual salary.... that should do it, we are both working and young-ish

are the commissions that much higher on life insurance?

back when I sold Cars, I would push the customer toward used even if they specifically asked about new

I could sell 1 or 2 new cars everyday and starve to death, while just one used car a week would keep me in "hog heaven"

I don't know your financial situation but 3x earnings isn't really that much.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:07 PM

I can see why he would pitch more life insurance as 8-10x gross income is the usual guideline. (for most people with dependents)

If I want to buy more life insurance I will just go through Zander or SelectQuote.”

I told him, “I am coming to him for financial investment advice, not to buy things that are cheaper elsewhere”

Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I would personally drop him like a bad habit. He obviously doesn't have your best financial interests in mind if he is trying to sell you overpriced crap, which will affect your finances negatively. So he is not doing his job already.

With that said, this is good stuff. Let us know what this guys says.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:39 PM

140 posts, read 143,235 times
My husband and I are young-ish with no dependents and we decided it would be wise to get life insurance while we are healthy and the rates are low. For example, I got my policy at 30, I have the top tier health rating and $500K 30 year term costs me $29/month.

We aren't sure if we'll ever have kids and we don't have a mortgage. So we decided a 30 year term would buy us some time to make those decisions. We also wanted the freedom to take time off work to grieve without having to worry about money.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceBabe View Post
My husband and I are young-ish with no dependents and we decided it would be wise to get life insurance while we are healthy and the rates are low. For example, I got my policy at 30, I have the top tier health rating and $500K 30 year term costs me $29/month.

We aren't sure if we'll ever have kids and we don't have a mortgage. So we decided a 30 year term would buy us some time to make those decisions. We also wanted the freedom to take time off work to grieve without having to worry about money.
I have 3x/salary insurance through employer, the cost is peanuts (and no exclusions)

private insurance would be expensive as I instruct in Light Sport Aircraft on weekends

Old 05-27-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I have 3x/salary insurance through employer, the cost is peanuts (and no exclusions)

private insurance would be expensive as I instruct in Light Sport Aircraft on weekends

Do you have an understanding as to why the insurance would be more expensive because of your weekend activities?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Do you have an understanding as to why the insurance would be more expensive because of your weekend activities?
Yes

they call them Actuarial's

DEFINITION of 'Actuarial Life Table'
A table or spreadsheet that shows the probability of a person at a certain age dying before his or her next birthday. These statistics calculate the remaining life expectancy for people at different ages and the probability of surviving a particular year of age.

Actuarial Life Table Definition | Investopedia

they find my "Weekend Activities" to be high risk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIAvADklSw

Last edited by azsportpilot; 05-27-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yes

they call them Actuarial's

DEFINITION of 'Actuarial Life Table'
A table or spreadsheet that shows the probability of a person at a certain age dying before his or her next birthday. These statistics calculate the remaining life expectancy for people at different ages and the probability of surviving a particular year of age.

Actuarial Life Table Definition | Investopedia

they find my "Weekend Activities" to be high risk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIAvADklSw

Your weekend activity are high risk that's why it would cost more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance