Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 2,115 times

Advertisements

How can I move to a big city for my career? I'm really poor so I thought it would be impossible but I saw places on Craigslist renting rooms for the week and even people doing bunk situations in bigger cities.

I want to move to Los Angeles but I live on the east and I think that would make it harder but I found rooms for 500-700 on Craigslist. In nyc I found rooms for 700-900 and like 150/week I found people splitting rooms but it's mostly middle aged old guys so I don't think that would work. Could I aim for nyc if I rent by the week and get a job fast as **** even though I'm poor or should I aim for something cheaper like Atlanta where I can move to a bad part of town and find something really inexpensive

I don't really need a lot to live just a tiny room in a crowded apartment and I barely eat and don't really watch tv or use the Internet much or anything. I can usually find jobs fast too but right now I live in the middle of nowhere with no car and a job isn't really an option and I feel like it's really holding me back.

I think it would be entirely possible to do this with something like waiting tables or maybe picking up a second job on the weekend and I would probably make twice as much as rent costs. I just want a tiny room in a cheaper neighborhood and just take public transportation everywhere and maybe get a small road bike if I live in la. I don't have a lot of money but I think if I rent a room instead of an apartment it'll be easier/cheaper and if I pay by the week I can scrape by and work a lot.

Last edited by Hatethisplace; 08-24-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM

472 posts, read 527,404 times
LA doesn't have world class traffic because everyone takes public transit or bikes (sarcasim) LA is very spread out, so most everyone has a car to drive, so if you want to walk/bike find a location with a high walk score.

I think NYC is much more expensive than LA, at least when it comes to purchasing housing (I have realtor friends in both locations.) Why not consider a more pedestrian friendly place like Portland Oregon or Austin Texas?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
LA doesn't have world class traffic because everyone takes public transit or bikes (sarcasim) LA is very spread out, so most everyone has a car to drive, so if you want to walk/bike find a location with a high walk score.

I think NYC is much more expensive than LA, at least when it comes to purchasing housing (I have realtor friends in both locations.) Why not consider a more pedestrian friendly place like Portland Oregon or Austin Texas?
You don't need a car in NYC. You really can't say that about anywhere else in the country. That totally changes the cost dynamic.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don't need a car in NYC. You really can't say that about anywhere else in the country. That totally changes the cost dynamic.
Sure you can. There are plenty of cities with fairly excellent transit systems. San Francisco is easily doable without a car thanks to BART/Muni/etc. Portland has a streetcar, bus, and light rail system which has really good coverage close in and extends all the way to most of the outlying suburbs.

I do have a car in Portland but that's more for convenience than anything else (and because I work way out in the suburbs - if I didn't I'd probably ditch the car). I spend pretty much all my non-working time in/around San Francisco without a car and I've never felt constrained by relying on public transit.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah I guess but won't public transit work anywhere if you are kinda close to your job

Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatethisplace View Post
I'm really poor so I thought...
I want to move to Los Angeles but...

How can I move to a big city for my career?
What career? What skills?

Quote:
I think it would be entirely possible to do this with something like waiting tables...
Oh yeah.. you'll have some scut jobs to do.
But even there you need to have skills BEFORE you show up.

Focus on the type of employer who is most likely to have opportunities
for advancement and training develop then be ready for them.

Take whatever low wage scut job they'll hire you for.

As for money dumps like LA or SF or NYC... No.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:20 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,774 times
Quote:
How can I move to a big city for my career? I'm really poor so I thought it would be impossible but I saw places on Craigslist renting rooms for the week and even people doing bunk situations in bigger cities.

I want to move to Los Angeles but I live on the east and I think that would make it harder but I found rooms for 500-700 on Craigslist. In nyc I found rooms for 700-900 and like 150/week I found people splitting rooms but it's mostly middle aged old guys so I don't think that would work. Could I aim for nyc if I rent by the week and get a job fast as **** even though I'm poor or should I aim for something cheaper like Atlanta where I can move to a bad part of town and find something really inexpensive

I don't really need a lot to live just a tiny room in a crowded apartment and I barely eat and don't really watch tv or use the Internet much or anything. I can usually find jobs fast too but right now I live in the middle of nowhere with no car and a job isn't really an option and I feel like it's really holding me back.

I think it would be entirely possible to do this with something like waiting tables or maybe picking up a second job on the weekend and I would probably make twice as much as rent costs. I just want a tiny room in a cheaper neighborhood and just take public transportation everywhere and maybe get a small road bike if I live in la. I don't have a lot of money but I think if I rent a room instead of an apartment it'll be easier/cheaper and if I pay by the week I can scrape by and work a lot.
To what end, is the goal to live in a big city, or career advancement. I doubt your career plan is waiting tables and other manual jobs, but that will be your life simply to make rent. Your career will take a backseat. You need to come up with a better plan for your career, 3yrs, 5yrs. Being dirt poor in a big city does not spell career advancement, there is another way.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Yeah I guess but won't public transit work anywhere if you are kinda close to your job
If you are really close to your job, even walking will work. I did this for many years while building up to the point of being financially secure enough to buy a car.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
To what end, is the goal to live in a big city, or career advancement. I doubt your career plan is waiting tables and other manual jobs, but that will be your life simply to make rent. Your career will take a backseat. You need to come up with a better plan for your career, 3yrs, 5yrs. Being dirt poor in a big city does not spell career advancement, there is another way.

Barely advancing is better than not doing it at all

Old 08-25-2016, 01:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
I can only speak from experience. I moved back to NYC without a job and rented in a split with friends of an old friend for $600/mo. Without a car and knowledge of how to actually cook food and a cheap phone contract, I was spending a messily $100/mo outside of rent. After about 2 months I found a job that paid more than any job in Chicago would entry level in my general career path. About 1.5 years from that date, I'm in my 3rd job in my career path and am making over double what I made back then. My rent is below the median by about $1k/mo and I'm considered probably Upper Middle Class by traditional metrics off of my income alone. I'm only 24, though was 23 when this all came into place. I also have my own place in Manhattan well below 59th st, which many consider well out of their price range.

Some things I had that you don't however are old friends and a 2 year internship that was ultimately full time. My degree was from a no name state school, but software engineer (ala Computer Science) is desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance