Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 12:50 PM

204 posts, read 145,095 times

Advertisements

My credit history has been shot for about 6 yrs now from unpaid medical bills, and bad decision making. I bring in roughly $1700 a month from a stable job ive had around 10yrs and thats all i make for now. I owe 3k on a bank credit card that's 4yrs old in debt....about 1200 on a personal loan 4yrs in debt....care credit card around 500....sorry i havent actually pulled my recent credit check but i know im in debt at least around 7 or 8k. Ive let it hang over my head the last 5 to 6yrs on negligence. Biweekly i bring home around 800 or so. House rent is 300 biweekly...cell phone....$45 monthly.....spend about 130 amonth on groceries....if something unexpected happens it sets me back and hard to catch up. Im wanting to find better income i think makes the big difference to pay off debt and still survive versus an idea of filing bankrupt and just starting over....have around 3k in savings for emergencies....cant seem to get over the hump. Its over whelming to knock down debt and then keep enough money for basic needs and survival. Can give better details later just wanted some advice from some who know more than me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
GA has a 6 year statue of limitations on debt......I'd hang tight until 6 years has passed (from the date of your last payment on those accounts)

Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
GA has a 6 year statue of limitations on debt......I'd hang tight until 6 years has passed (from the date of your last payment on those accounts)
I agree if the collections debt is already 4 years old. The OP might as well wait another 2 years for the debt to fall off his credit. Paying old collections past 2 years old doesn't really help your credit score unless you have a written notice from the collections agency that they will remove the collections account from your credit report. Otherwise it won't help your credit score to pay 4 year old charged off debts.

As long as the OP isn't planning on buying a house or car immediately. I say wait it out too and after two years his credit score will rebound.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:25 PM

199 posts, read 130,919 times
I wouldn't worry about your credit, borrowing money is how you got to this point. Your expenses seem reasonable. The answer to your problems is more income. Until you can get a higher paying primary job, the only solution may be to take on a 2nd job (weekend work?). Whatever that can bring in, have most if not all of that extra money go to the debt with the highest interest rate. Slowly chip away at it. I realize taking on a 2nd job isn't easy, perhaps try to find a job you could enjoy (Bar tending, Parking Cars, etc.) or that is connected to one of your hobbies.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:51 PM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
Craigslist has lots of pt work in most cities plus lots of gigs. Don't give out personal information until you have interview on spot as there are some scammers.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:09 PM

204 posts, read 145,095 times
Good advice i never thought about a part time job that connects with my hobby..and since you mentioned it...valet parking would seem energizing....since im at school for auto technician to pursue auto career....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance