Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 12:35 AM

645 posts, read 751,374 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever experience identity theft? My elderly father was just a victim of identity theft where an out of state company opened a fraudulent commercial account under only his name and address. The company said a mexican restaurant opened an account with them under my dads name. The contract they sent me had everything false on it except for my dads name and address and they even put a fake middle name. None of it was my dads accurate information.They even forged his signature.

The detective has already investigated and has sent the company the police report and told them it was fraud and to close it. But they are making it difficult saying they want a copy of my dads driver's license which we feel very uncomfortable doing because we already feel like this company is very shady. From the reviews that i have read about this company on their site and the better business bureau reviews they have had numerous incidents similar to the one with my dad. So i am a bit suspicious about them. Anyone ever gone through something like this and if so how did you resolve it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Get an attorney and a court order if possible and have the attorney deal with the company.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Get an attorney and a court order if possible and have the attorney deal with the company.

Yes we were told a consumer finance attorney could help sometimes at no cost. We were trying to see if the company would resolve the issue before speaking with an attorney but they are not budging they have been harassing my dad by sending him bills that aren't his since july.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
No experience like yours.
I would not send the drivers license. They could be the criminal.

They may have picked his name from a phone book and know nothing more about him.

To be safe you can freeze your credit reports at the three major credit agencies. With the police report I do not think there will be a charge. Also age may exempt from a charge.

Go onto CreditKarma https://www.creditkarma.com/ and sign up. This is safe. It will give you a reading of your credit each time you log in. I think they will also notify you of new accounts being opened. Look to see when the last credit check was made. It should be by the company that sent the contract. I will bet it is not. The service is free.

You can get free credit reports here https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action Just be careful not to sign up for any of the services they try and sell you. Again look to see if the company has checked your credit.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
No experience like yours.
I would not send the drivers license. They could be the criminal.

They may have picked his name from a phone book and know nothing more about him.

To be safe you can freeze your credit reports at the three major credit agencies. With the police report I do not think there will be a charge. Also age may exempt from a charge.

Go onto CreditKarma https://www.creditkarma.com/ and sign up. This is safe. It will give you a reading of your credit each time you log in. I think they will also notify you of new accounts being opened. Look to see when the last credit check was made. It should be by the company that sent the contract. I will bet it is not. The service is free.

You can get free credit reports here https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action Just be careful not to sign up for any of the services they try and sell you. Again look to see if the company has checked your credit.

Thanks....yes we do have credit karma. I check it frequently...We have placed a fraud alert but not a freeze yet...So far we haven't seen any type of collections accounts or credit searches. We dont think its wise either to send a drivers license this is as shady ass company. I feel like the detective calling them,speaking with them and telling them its fraud and to close the fraud account should be enough for them to close the damn thing and leave my dad alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance