Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:06 PM

167 posts, read 195,726 times

Advertisements

So lets say I'm gonna buy a 500k house with 20% down and a 4% rate. I'm married so my standard deduction is what 12k? something like that.

Now when I use online calculators it says my tax savings on the 1st year would be $6160 but I just don't see how is that possible. If I'm paying off a 400k loan total interest paid during the first year should be about 15k. That's only 3k more than standard deduction. Right? So mine and my wifes taxable income would only be lowered by 3k (compared to the standard deduction we couldve claimed). So in the end the whole thing would net me 25% (tax rate) times 3k. that's ONLY about $750.

Please tell me if I'm calculating this wrong. I totally might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 06:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
I don't know the assumptions your online calculator made. Your interest will be deductible. Additionally, any other deductions you are entitled to take, such as property taxes, state income taxes, charitable contributions, etc. will also be deductible. You did not take those deductions when you used the standard deduction.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
So lets say I'm gonna buy a 500k house with 20% down and a 4% rate. I'm married so my standard deduction is what 12k? something like that.

Now when I use online calculators it says my tax savings on the 1st year would be $6160 but I just don't see how is that possible. If I'm paying off a 400k loan total interest paid during the first year should be about 15k. That's only 3k more than standard deduction. Right? So mine and my wifes taxable income would only be lowered by 3k (compared to the standard deduction we couldve claimed). So in the end the whole thing would net me 25% (tax rate) times 3k. that's ONLY about $750.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/ite...elp-you-choose

Maybe married filing separately would help.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:06 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
I'm certainly not going to take the time to do the math, but remember your simply taking the 16k off your income as a deduction. Its not a tax credit. Its certainly possible that works out to $750 for your particular situation. Everyone's situation, income, deductions, etc is different.

Again, its a deduction, not a tax credit.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
Hard to say how it calculated to get $6160. Most calculators don't take into account the difference between the standard and itemized deductions. To accurately calculate your savings, you would need to know how close you are to itemizing before the house. For example do you live in a state with state income taxes or deductible sales tax? Did you include you property taxes when you calculated?

For example, if you have $10,000 withheld for state income taxes, then you're only $2,600 from itemizing. So the interest, property tax, and other deductions savings kick in from itemizing after the $2,600.

I hope this makes some sense.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:

That looks about right. If you have state income tax, you can deduct that too. Bad news is that your deduction will go down each year as you pay less interest and more principal.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
You only start savings money on the first dollar that exceeds the standard deduction. No savings before that

Old 11-22-2016, 08:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'm certainly not going to take the time to do the math, but remember your simply taking the 16k off your income as a deduction. Its not a tax credit. Its certainly possible that works out to $750 for your particular situation. Everyone's situation, income, deductions, etc is different.

Again, its a deduction, not a tax credit.
OP did not say it was a credit. He calculated the difference between his itemized deductions (15k) and his standard deduction (12k) and multiplied by his marginal tax rate. His math is correct.

He neglected to add property taxes as well as any other itemized deductions to his 15k of mortgage interest. The MFJ standard deduction is more than 12k. So that part is off. But his math is just fine.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

Your state and local income taxes - as well as property taxes - are also deductible - probably at least several thousand dollars more right there. You might also have a few other assorted deductions for things like child care or personal property taxes (if your car registration fees are based on VALUE they are deductible, but not if they are based on WEIGHT). If you live in a state without an income tax, your SALES taxes are deductible.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/ite...elp-you-choose

Maybe married filing separately would help

MFS rarely helps - maybe if one spouse has 90% of the income and the other spouse has 10% of the income.

But MFS rarely is better than MFJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance