Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 02:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm sorry, I had to repost it (it's above). I am seriously considering going without healthcare insurance for the first time in my life for several reasons... one being that paying those premiums with a $5k deductible doesn't make sense.

$1,200 x 12 months = $14,400 in premiums in one year. Tack on $5k before I can use it, it doesn't make sense. I may have found insurance that is lower but it is not ACA compliant (hey at 56 years old I have to have maternity care) so I'd have to pay the tax / fine at the end of the year. I have to do the numbers. If with the premiums on the non-compliant policy plus the tax or fine at the end of the year doesn't work I hope Trump can do something.

There are a lot of people like me out there, they make too much to get a subsidy but not enough to be able to afford the monthly health insurance premiums. There are people even worse off than me. I could put her in a nursing home and use that money to pay for insurance The policy premiums are so high that people just cant afford it or it would put a lot of people in financial disaster so they go without insurance.
My sister went without health care back in early 2000s when she was out of a job. I wouldn't do it. But YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
You probably don't see it, but you are exactly why so many people want to move to a national health system.

I like forward to you posting here, how much your premiums went down after Trump takes office.
No not that many people want to move to a national health system. We all watch Europe with ZIRP and very slow growth.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:13 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never had difficulty or hassle navigating the tax code.

I think that I shall never see
A tax break that will benefit me
You don't qualify for the EIC?

Old 12-07-2016, 05:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
You probably don't see it, but you are exactly why so many people want to move to a national health system.

I like forward to you posting here, how much your premiums went down after Trump takes office.
They do No they don't. It's only people who want other people to subsidize them that do. Oh and if Trump doesn't do anything about this there are actions I can take, just like I and many people in the same boat took when Hillary said she was going to keep the disaster alive. A lot of people voted for Trump based on him getting rid of the POS Democrat law. By the way, it's going to fail with or without Trump. I'm just going to do my part to help it along. lol, expecting people to pay exorbitant premiums and think they are going to go along with it. Worse, try to pull morally superior arguments when debating it. What a joke.

Last edited by petch751; 12-07-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You don't qualify for the EIC?

Nope, just over the phaseout, and since i have no kids, EIC not fully phased out wouldn't be worth muich to me anyway.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:27 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
They do No they don't. It's only people who want other people to subsidize them that do. Oh and if Trump doesn't do anything about this there are actions I can take, just like I and many people in the same boat took when Hillary said she was going to keep the disaster alive. A lot of people voted for Trump based on him getting rid of the POS Democrat law. By the way, it's going to fail with or without Trump. I'm just going to do my part to help it along. lol, expecting people to pay exorbitant premiums and think they are going to go along with it. Worse, try to pull morally superior arguments when debating it. What a joke.

You probably should stop talking about stuff you don't know much about.
Majority in U.S. Support Idea of Fed-Funded Healthcare System | Gallup

Morally superior? No. But it does help to come armed with facts instead of talk radio talking points.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Morally superior? No. But it does help to come armed with facts instead of talk radio talking points.
LOL, another reason people voted for Trump. You didn't want to hear what we had to say. I'm surprised you didn't call me a name.

People getting subsidies NEED people paying full ticket price to continue paying it and it's too expensive so it's not going to happen. My state has two insurance companies to choose from and my agent called me 2 weeks ago which was unusual. He told me a lot of people are dropping their insurance. I also heard the company is getting hammered and has been taking a huge loss. I'll bet the company drops out at the end of 2017.

Last edited by petch751; 12-08-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:

If anything we learn after this election is not to trust most of the polls out there. I remembered feeling depressed when the polls were predicting were up 12% over Hilary.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:42 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
LOL, another reason people voted for Trump. You didn't want to hear what we had to say. I'm surprised you didn't call me a name. People getting subsidies NEED people paying full ticket price to continue paying it and it's too expensive so it's not going to happen.

No, I'll leave the name calling to Trump. You're making yourself look foolish without any help from me.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
No, I'll leave the name calling to Trump. You're making yourself look foolish without any help from me.
Oh yes, I remember, I'm a despicable who's irredemable because you don't like what I think lol.

Obamacare is welfare. As I said, you NEED people to pay full ticket price and they can't afford it if you're getting subsidized by someone else. Obamacare is going down the tubes with or without Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance