Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:21 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Your pension will pay you $55,000 / year forever.

Your deferred income will pay $70,000 / year from now until you turn 71.

Holding off on SS until 70 makes sense to me.

No debt is a good thing.

I would consider putting your savings, IRA and Roth into a trust for your heirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 09:57 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
You've probably run the $125K income taxes with/without a part-time job, however, by not taking your SS until 71, it will not decrease your SS amount. When your income drops back to $55K at 71, your SS will take up some of the income slack, and your RMD's will take-up the remaining slack. Since you will need to pay RMD taxes, the amount will likely offset your taxes, so your net income should not change. By that time, you will likely have much of your travel out of the way and be on the downside of your acquisition stage in life.

Since your savings and Roth are already in post-tax dollars, you will have the flexibility in make the best 'tax bucket' decisions annually as you move along... in preparation for the change at 71. In the interim, you have lot of investment flexibility within your IRA. It might be in your best interest to strategically convert part of your IRA to Roth funds - so that at RMD time, the bite will be lessened. We're were in a similar situation and will now allocate our RMD income to college for the grandkids , inflation-protected income and taxes.

Regardless of what you do, "the taxman cometh" and anything you take out of deferred funds will cost you 30-35% taxes now plus work income, (unless the tax rate comes down) ... and RMD taxes when you turn 70-1/2. I've not found any way to beat the RMD taxes (which is obviously the government's intent. Meanwhile, the estate tax rate may turn to your favor at some point to better benefit a Trust account for your heirs.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,778,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Retired end of last year at 62 with severance etc behind me. Looking to draw funds in the most tax efficient manner going forward.
I don't quite get the problem. Currently you have 1 taxable item that is fixed:
- pension

In a few years you will have 3 taxable items with fixed amount:
- pension
- SS
- IRA RMDs

If you want to minimize taxes, then don't go above your bracket when you add income from your taxable investment accounts. This seems like just an arithmetic problem.

The one knob you might have to tweak in this is when to sell taxable equities. You didn't say what is in your other accounts, but if they have unrealized capital gains, there is always the question as to whether it is better to sell those now or later. There is a lot of debate on that but most people opt to not spend the IRA until you have to and to live off cap gains until then.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
My brother is in this situation. He somehow thought, wrongly, that he didn't have to take RMDs from 401k, he knows about IRA, until I mentioned this to him. Double the trouble(nice problem) is that his wife is in the same boat. Nice problem to have but if people are not careful, it will be all eaten by tax. Maybe he will retire when he turns 62.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 PM

18,155 posts, read 15,738,832 times
Do you have to take the full $70K out at one time?

If yes, then one thing you can do to put at least some of that money into your Roth where it can generate future tax-free returns. That may not be the best tax-advantaged thing to do with a $70K payout, but if you don't need the money but you are getting it nonetheless, might as well do something with it that can help in the future.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,123,488 times
I think some key information was omitted. Let me start with the part time income. Unless that is something that takes very little time or is something you really enjoy, why bother?

Second, I am unclear about the retirement savings. It seems there are 3 accounts each with over $500K. I will assume the total is a bit short of $2 million. With a 4% safe withdrawal rate that will about compensate for the $70k. It seems you would not be pulling from those accounts at this time. If you do pull from them, the amounts should be minimal leaving the rest to make up for the loss of the $70K income. Since you will be pulling little or nothing from your accounts, there is no strategy to minimize taxes.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 AM

Well there is a way to minimize taxes on that $70K yearly draw and that is give all of it or some portion of it away to a qualified charity or foundation each year.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,634,748 times
Giving money away to improve your tax bill usually works out to a losing proposition when you net it all out. Why would you consider giving away 70k to avoid paying 17.5k in taxes?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:34 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Giving money away to improve your tax bill usually works out to a losing proposition when you net it all out. Why would you consider giving away 70k to avoid paying 17.5k in taxes?
It's a new math, part of common core.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If one gets $70K/year they absolutely do not need, and will never need to live on, charitable giving is one option for the use of all or some of those monies. There are some tax savings that come as a part of charitable giving, but the underlying desire to donate and support causes is what drives most. The very rich create their foundations of course.

Among a range of options to be explored, this is one to throw on a list. It might be readily discarded, but it is an option of what to do with an infusion of $$$ each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance