Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 PM

449 posts, read 495,680 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to open a Roth IRA and online brokerage account. Currently I'm doing research on several companies such as TDAmeritrade, T Rowe Price, Vanguard, and Scottrade, etc.

I'm looking for a company that offers wide range of funds, stocks, low-mid fees, easy online tracking accessibility, and good customer service.

Any of you have experience investing with either of these companies? My goal is to open a Roth IRA and a online brokerage account sometime in the near future.

MDude

Last edited by MDude25; 01-28-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Fidelity for retirement

Personally I would separate your retirement and regular accounts. Diversification is always good. You never know.

I had Scottrade and while they were a good discount broker, everyone is around that same price now. I disliked their CS and lack of help filling out their own forms.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 PM

449 posts, read 495,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Fidelity for retirement

Personally I would separate your retirement and regular accounts. Diversification is always good. You never know.

I had Scottrade and while they were a good discount broker, everyone is around that same price now. I disliked their CS and lack of help filling out their own forms.

Good idea, may be a Roth IRA with one company and a online brokerage account with another company.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
I have a few accounts and thinking of opening a few more accounts. I don't like to agrregarate into one pot. You never know which account will be hacked.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Fidelity for retirement

Diversification doesn't mean using multiple brokerages..that will cost you more in the long run because you miss out on the discounts for the fund balances. Diversification means you have several different type of investments to help maintain and even keel with your accounts--a mix of stocks, bonds, cash, real estate, etc. to help whether the ups and downs of the various markets.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:46 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times
If you have a Vanguard account and invest your money in vanguard funds there is no commission or fees when buying and selling from what I understand. So depending upon how frequently you plan to add to the account or if you plan an active approach to managing the fund this may be something you'd want to consider.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:42 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Diversification doesn't mean using multiple brokerages..that will cost you more in the long run because you miss out on the discounts for the fund balances. Diversification means you have several different type of investments to help maintain and even keel with your accounts--a mix of stocks, bonds, cash, real estate, etc. to help whether the ups and downs of the various markets.
I like the diversification of vendors because if someone steals my identity they will hopefully not find all of my accounts. You are correct that this does not diversify the investments but that is not the reason for multiple brokers.

For the OP I would look toward the cheapest vendor. Pay attention to the annual fees charged. Assuming you are a long term investor I would start with Vanguard. The add other brokers if you like.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM

462 posts, read 550,504 times
Vanguard is definitely the cheapest as far as fees, Fidelity is considered better as far as more variety of funds and customer service.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
My Roth is in a T. Rowe Price targeted retirement date fund. It was the best performer when I started it.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My Roth is in a T. Rowe Price targeted retirement date fund. It was the best performer when I started it.
Does the target date actually match yours or did you just pick the best performer at the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance