Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

in 2010 to boost my IRA before rolling it to a Roth--I made a 6K contribution--
problem is that MY income comes only from a teacher's pension--I have no earned income--
We have a financial advisor/CPA who failed to say that I could not fund an IRA if I did not have earned income in amount of the contribution...
just trusted that he would stop me from making a mistake...

so from what a retired-teacher-friend told me today it seems that was an illegal contribution--
is that right?

what type of penalty is assessed for something like this?

Frankly if my CPA allowed me to do it--I think he should pay the penalty...
We took the check into their office for the deposit into the Fidelity IRA account....
AND I was going to do the same thing in 2011 and convert it to a Roth...
and had emailed him about it twice w/o any info that I could not...

The only reason I can think of for him allowing that mistake is that he is just not paying attention to my side of our income situation very well...since we file jointly and my husband has income from a job as well as a separate LLC corp....

Last edited by loves2read; 02-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: rewriting post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,396 times
When you convert a traditional IRA to a Roth (whether that Roth is established or not), that is not considered a CONTRIBUTION to the Roth.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:03 PM

thanks--you posted to my original post--then I found out I likely made an ineligible IRA contribution so I rewrote it

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Ah, that IS a different question, isn't it. :-) In that case...you're STILL okay, because as long as your husband earns enough income to cover it, and as long as you're filing jointly (which you said you are), a "spousal contribution" can be made into YOUR IRA, even if YOUR don't have any earned income yourself.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Gossshhhh I am glad to know that--I was so afraid that if it was a mistake, correcting it would be such a big problem and maybe red-flag us for an audit...

the info I read on line was just talking about an individual's earnings--no mention of doing it as spousal contribution...

now my CPA will think I am really nuts--or just stupid--
the stupid I don't mind--that is why we are paying him...

the nuts -- that is little different...

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
...even if YOUR don't have any earned income yourself.
That should be "YOU," not "YOUR," of course. I hate typos.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
then i wouldnt hang around in this forum. we are more interested in the information thats exchanged then playing gottcha because a word is spelled wrong. big deal!

i post alot in quite a few forums but ill be darned if im going back to check every word i type....

Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
then i wouldnt hang around in this forum. we are more interested in the information thats exchanged then playing gottcha because a word is spelled wrong. big deal!
In case you missed it (and I can't tell from your post), my "gottcha" above was in reply to my own post. I don't care about other people's typos, only my own. I'm just critical that way.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 AM

if that is how people respond to posts that are done "tongue in cheek" I don't know that I would hang around here either...

and Longarm--I am retired English teacher--so my mistakes are always more grating than those I see in others' posts...
thanks for the info AND not making fun of my ignorance

Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,305 times
Roth Conversions also start a New 5 Year Period before you can withdraw all of the funds out of the acct.

If you are over 59 1/2, you can withdraw up to the Total amout you "converted in" at any time w/out a penalty.

Personally I do not co-mingle Roth Accts.

I open a New acct. for each "Conversion Year" so I can easily keep track of each years conversions.
I have all of my Conversions with TD Ameritrade, and they do not add any extra fees for this service.

Be Aware that Conversions will be treated as income, so you need to carefully plan them to stay in the Tax Bracket that makes you comfortable.

Silverfox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing