Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 AM

34,113 posts, read 83,076,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
I actually think that was the OPs point.
People say (all manner of things) on here without qualifiers all the time...
That is the nature of the venue.

But it does point out the risks of poor reading comprehension
(and the reason why those "rules of thumb" get promulgated)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 AM

390 posts, read 367,139 times
Agreed. However, this thread is not about all manners of things

Old 02-02-2017, 12:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,785,638 times
Quote:
I actually think that was the OPs point. People say "Max your 401k" on here without qualifiers all the time or even asking what the person's financial situation is. And I fully agree that in many cases it makes sense to do so - especially if its a person late in their career who has been neglecting retirement savings for two decades. Nonetheless, nuance matters. The idea that "Max your 401k" is a "rule" as asinine. Perhaps calling it a goal makes more sense. For many, an aspirational one they may never reach but that doesn't mean dog food is necessarily in their future. Retirement planning is much more complicated than that.
It's sage advice like eat your vegetables .

Old 02-02-2017, 03:30 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,594,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And yet you feel comfortable going on and on and on about it
This isn't true, I went on about my person experience in retirement spending which was contrary to the absolute statement you made about how people who save 25% of their income while working would then use it to fill up their free time.

You still haven't answered as to whether that was your experience in retirement.
You still haven't provided a source to your claims about massive increase in entertainment spending in retirement.

To put in perspective the ridiculousness of your post:

Couple making 100k spend 20% of that on entertainment while working, saving 25%.
Couple retires, and by your logic they would then spend that 25% to fill their days.
Their retirement budget is now 45% of their spending.

Absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But what will you do with all the extra time no longer spent working & commuting?
Here's a hint: It'll chew up most of that 25%, etc that you think you won't need.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It's true, I'm only aware of laws in California. Why would I know any other state? But then your statement about what you need to retire is also less accurate. You live overseas, not in USA. Pot's calling kettle black?
Because you said 401ks are protected while IRAs are not. This is only true for certain states, and under certain conditions, so very poor advice. It is akin to someone living in Arizona saying the United States is dry, thinking everyone else must live in their own sphere of existence.

As I already explained to you, my post on retirement spending was from my experience retired in the United States.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,785,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Because you said 401ks are protected while IRAs are not. This is only true for certain states, and under certain conditions, so very poor advice. It is akin to someone living in Arizona saying the United States is dry, thinking everyone else must live in their own sphere of existence.

As I already explained to you, my post on retirement spending was from my experience retired in the United States.
As I stated, I live in California. No more than you state your expense is low but you live in a third world somewhere at least that's what you admitted somewhere. Others have posted their experience in NY as Mathjak.
No more than you made generalization that Chinese food is not salty, the last time I checked they were very high sodium and fat. And you think there is zilch chance that somebody has $1.7m and abuse ACA. Hello, that guy posted his exact asset on Early retirement forum. So you basically like to argue, or hold some egrudge somewhere. I refuse to respond to you. So goodbye.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
As I stated, I live in California. No more than you state your expense is low but you live in a third world somewhere at least that's what you admitted somewhere. Others have posted their experience in NY as Mathjak.
Third time explaining = my comment on retirement expenses was related to our time retired in the United States. This is a recording.

Quote:
No more than you made generalization that Chinese food is not salty, the last time I checked they were very high sodium and fat.
It certainly is, because in some states IRAs are protected. Therefore making the blanket statement that 401ks are protected and IRAs are not is false, there are a lot of variables in there including what state you live in.

Quote:
And you think there is zilch chance that somebody has $1.7m and abuse ACA. Hello, that guy posted his exact asset on Early retirement forum. So you basically like to argue, or hold some egrudge somewhere. I refuse to respond to you. So goodbye.
I shouldn't even address this feeble attempt at distraction but my position (in another forum, on another thread, about a different subject) was that millionaire early retirees with incomes low enough to claim subsidies is rare and putting a system in place to means check might cost more than what you'd save the program.Why would I claim there is zilch chance when I'm one of them?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:09 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
Telling someone with a family that only earns 40k/year they need to max their 401k is insane - they can't and you might cause them to give up hope and not save anything at all.

Try not assuming that someone making 40K is destitute. There are many, many places in the country where people can get by just fine, including maxing out 401K's on 40K...especially when you paid 20K for your house and your house payment costs less than your cell phone bill...

Old 02-03-2017, 05:34 AM

390 posts, read 367,139 times
I'm not sure I'd say not having an extra 18k a year is destitute. That said, if you can keep a family of 4-5 going comfortably on 22k/year (im assuming zero tax liability) then good for you. That seems an unbelievable stretch to me without cutting corners most people wouldn't be willing to cut or relying on government services.

Just checked and yeah...That is a little below the federal poverty level. Which admittedly is probably based on national averages and pulled up by larger cities. Still.

Last edited by JO783; 02-03-2017 at 05:51 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,406,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery212 View Post
Also true -- I personally did max out some in my 20s but didn't start until almost age 26 bc I graduated grad school at 25. So yeah I'm behind where I would be if I started working at 22 and the only way to "remedy" that is to max out.
How many people can max out the year they get out of school? They must be making my salary (after working 30 years) immediately after getting their B.S.?

Not talking about you specifically, but there has always been a good deal of humble bragging here. And many people start out strong but find out they can't live with that level of extreme deprivation once they try to (seriously) date, marry and have kids....life does interrupt and it does cost money.

I'll never save to that point - because you also hear of those that can't turn from being a miser to having any kind of fun after 40-50 years. I guess the cats will inherit it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance