Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 01:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, is it pretty much the same? Or file separately could end up paying more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 01:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Use TT to compare the difference. Nobody knows your tax situation better than you.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:30 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Generally speaking, is it pretty much the same? Or file separately could end up paying more?
As a general rule filing separately will wind up with a larger tax bill but the prior advice is correct, you have to run the numbers to know for sure.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:41 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Not necessarily.
Separate tax returns may give you a higher tax with a higher tax rate. The standard deduction for separate filers is far lower than that offered to joint filers. In 2019, married filing separately taxpayers only receive a standard deduction of $12,200 compared to the $24,400 offered to those who filed jointly.
The IRS strongly encourages most couples to file joint tax returns by extending several tax breaks to those who file together. In the vast majority of cases, it's best for married couples to file jointly.
If you file a separate return from your spouse, you are automatically disqualified from several of the tax deductions and credits. Separate filers are usually limited to a smaller IRA contribution deduction.
But there may be a few instances when it's better to submit separate returns:
for example if one of you has a large amount of out-of-pocket medical expenses to claim.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...axes/L7FD32bvj

If you aren't sure which way you should proceed - prepare the tax return both ways, then compare.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:00 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
It depends. What are your incomes and deductions? In general I would say file joint.
Go to the IRS site and find free tax software and do your return both ways. You can estimate your 2019 numbers and use the 2018 software to test.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 PM

92 posts, read 94,641 times
Quote:
It will depend. Also there are credits your cannot get if you file separately and to contribute to an Roth you AGI can't be over like 10k if filing separate.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Does filing jointly or separately matter to your financial situation? We keep our finances completely separate, no joint accounts or assets, so in my mind separate makes sense but if we can file jointly and save money but without it in any way implying we are jointly doing our finances that would be ideal.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Hahah - yes, singles and single filing will almost always have you paying more in taxes - being married gives you much higher deductions so a lower tax bill in general unless you have some unusual situation.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:23 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
If one spouse itemizes, the other spouse must also, so you really need to run the numbers. In the majority of cases, filing jointly is the way to go.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If one spouse itemizes, the other spouse must also, so you really need to run the numbers. In the majority of cases, filing jointly is the way to go.
I agree, but running the numbers is complicated. I am NOT a tax accountant (but my brother is ) and filed separately only twice. Once was in NJ when we avoided having the second income taxed fully at the highest marginal rate by NJ by filing separately for Federal (NJ allowed separate filing only if you did for Federal). The other was the year I divorced. I knew the Ex wouldn't file anything and wanted to keep my tax situation separate. At the time (1997) I think NJ still taxed capital gains on your residence if you didn't buy another. I did and he didn't.

Anyway- when you file separately, deductions such as Medical expenses can be deducted only by the one who incurred them. Other deductions such as mortgage interest and property taxes on jointly-owned property can be "juggled"; the IRS doesn't care who takes them as long as you both itemize and the total deductions add up to the actual amounts. That's the part that's complicated.

I'd think you'd need to at least run the "endpoint" scenarios- Spouse A takes all the joint deductions except for what Spouse B needs to get up to the Standard deduction, and vice versa. Then there's the new SALT limitation, which was $10K last year; I'm sure you can't deduct more than $10K by having each spouse deduct half when they exceed $10K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance