Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 01:10 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times

Advertisements

Just read a brief article that suggested collecting social security payments at 62 and then investing that money might be an advantage for many people who already have adequate savings. I’m guessing this has been hashed out here in this forum but couldn’t find it. I realize it depends on the markets and that may be a risky proposition, but at what rate would you need to make this a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 02:06 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
I lean toward postponing to age 70. Seems to be the safe conservate way. In my thinking I assume I or my spouce will live to 100. Thus I am not dying early and if I do die early I will not know I lost the bet.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:10 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Do you plan any tIRA to Roth conversions?
If yes, then you may want to rethink collecting SS early.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:11 PM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Just read a brief article that suggested collecting social security payments at 62 and then investing that money might be an advantage for many people who already have adequate savings. I’m guessing this has been hashed out here in this forum but couldn’t find it. I realize it depends on the markets and that may be a risky proposition, but at what rate would you need to make this a good idea?
Delaying ss and spending down invested assets vs taking it early and leaving the assets invested are even Steven at about 22 years ....if you live longer delayed ss can win ......if markets do better then just a 6% real return and inflation stays tame then investing wins with the early benefits.

If you are delaying ,Delaying works well for couples where there is a 47% chance one in a couple will still be alive at 90.

So take your choice , delay and bet on longevity more , or take it early and bet on markets , rates and inflation more

Old 12-14-2019, 02:46 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
You lose about 6% per year for each year you take soc sec early. So you'd need to make significantly more than 6% return every year to offset the reduction, and reinvest that.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
You lose about 6% per year for each year you take soc sec early. So you'd need to make significantly more than 6% return every year to offset the reduction, and reinvest that.
this is wrong ... you don't lose 6% ... the 6% increase is at the cost of spending down invested assets , checks you are not getting , spousal not gotten and no cap on medicare increases . so it is not like a 6% gain would be .

Old 12-14-2019, 03:40 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is wrong ... you don't lose 6% ... the 6% increase is at the cost of spending down invested assets , checks you are not getting , spousal not gotten and no cap on medicare increases . so it is not like a 6% gain would be .
Your benefit rate is lower. The payments are designed to produce the same lifetime total whenever you start taking them.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:49 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Delaying ss and spending down invested assets vs taking it early and leaving the assets invested are even Steven at about 22 years ....if you live longer delayed ss can win ......if markets do better then just a 6% real return and inflation stays tame then investing wins with the early benefits.

If you are delaying ,Delaying works well for couples where there is a 47% chance one in a couple will still be alive at 90.

So take your choice , delay and bet on longevity more , or take it early and bet on markets , rates and inflation more
I think delaying SS is a much safer bet.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Your benefit rate is lower. The payments are designed to produce the same lifetime total whenever you start taking them.
Not correct again .

Actuarially they are not equally weighted and have not been for years ... because today there is almost a 50% chance of one in a couple seeing 90 it has a big tilt Inherently towards delaying . So it is not neutral ...

But because of other aspects like spending down invested assets , spousal benefits that can’t be had , uncapped Medicare premiums while delaying that edge is usually no longer there and it is a toss up as to which one will leave you better off .

Unless one of you makes it to 90 , odds are taking it early and investing in a balanced portfolio will leave a bigger balance capable of a higher income assuming average real returns .

So you either need to bet on markets ,rates and inflation or longevity more for your income ....neither is a slam dunk but not because ss itself is neutral

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-14-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think delaying SS is a much safer bet.
So did I ..until I was in battlefield conditions spending down invested assets or money that could have been invested while I delayed in one of the greatest bull markets in history.....

Plus my wife did not get a 4500 a year spousal adder until I filed .

When mr ss check kept knocking on the door saying use me it is hard to resist so any plan I had to delay was gone by 65

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-14-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance