Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

As far as I know all three major credit reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) will allow you to freeze your credit report, thus preventing anybody from accessing your credit report.

Yes I understand I will be unable to open new bank accounts, get new loans or other credit. I don't need any. And anyway at least Experian's site says you can temporarily lift it. -- And I don't care what my credit score is so I won't mind if I don't get updates either. And I plan to live in my present residence for many, many years so I will not need to change my address in the foreseeable future.

Secondly, I understand that the big three have gotten together in a site annualcreditreport.com which allows you to view and print all 3 credit reports for free once a year.

Is annualcreditreport.com the legitimate site?

So here is my idea and I would like feedback on what I may do:

1.) First, get my free credit reports to verify that I am not already compromised. Use annualcreditreport.com, get and print the reports, go over them and verify all creditors are legitimate.

2.) After verifying I have no parasites, visit each of the big three and freeze my credit report at each. I understand you set a PIN and after that nobody can touch your freeze without the PIN. Furthermore you will be notified via email if there are any attempts to get your report or tinker with your freeze.

Do I have these steps right? Are there any other suggestions?

My end goal is to slam the door on anybody being able to open accounts in my name. I want to cover myself against identity theft, at least the financial kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Just to add, I did some more Googling and discovered this site which has lots to say about annualcreditreport.com.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/onli...eport_com.html

According to the complaints the site is badly flawed.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
So here is my idea and I would like feedback on what I may do:

1.) First, get my free credit reports to verify that I am not already compromised. Use annualcreditreport.com, get and print the reports, go over them and verify all creditors are legitimate.

2.) After verifying I have no parasites, visit each of the big three and freeze my credit report at each. I understand you set a PIN and after that nobody can touch your freeze without the PIN. Furthermore you will be notified via email if there are any attempts to get your report or tinker with your freeze.

Do I have these steps right?
Yes, you do. It's a fairly simple process. You should be aware that (depending on your state) there may be a small fee charged by each agency to unfreeze your credit in the event you do decide to take out a loan, but it's not a big expense.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
FYI, if you are concerned about others accessing your personal info, there are other information collectors and reporters besides the big 3:

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/2...-companies.pdf

Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM

A small fee is better than LifeLock at $30/month. I looked at them and the $10 plan is worthless, the $20 is iffy.

I'm wondering more about the free credit report site. You need to know if you have any problems before you freeze your credit reports.

And as far as the other collectors, I doubt big lenders, banks, etc. use anything other than the big three.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
You are trying to freeze (impossible unless court order) your credit history to prevent someone from using your personal data (easily obtainable) to open an account in your name?
That's some sort of fantasy.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You are trying to freeze (impossible unless court order) your credit history to prevent someone from using your personal data (easily obtainable) to open an account in your name?
That's some sort of fantasy.
Impossible? Please visit one of the big three credit report agencies. It's as easy as pie according to their FAQ.

TransUnion suggests a fraud alert might be a better alternative. Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Impossible? Please visit one of the big three credit report agencies. It's as easy as pie according to their FAQ.

TransUnion suggests a fraud alert might be a better alternative. Anybody have any thoughts?
A credit freeze is definitely better, but there's no reason you can't implement both.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
In CA, $10 per agency =$30 but if you're married, x2 =$60. It's a 1-time charge to freeze and the same cost to re-freeze.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Might be worth it, in terms of peace of mind.

If your identity is stolen you can lose more than you own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance