Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

With $1 Million net to you u can earn $50,000 a year, before taxes. That will probably be close to $40,000 after taxes. Going to be hard to scrape by on that in most places, but it can be done. Needs versus wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:46 PM

18,089 posts, read 15,670,593 times
If I won $1M right now, even after tax of $600K, I'd "retire" in a NY minute because with my savings added in I'd then have plenty. I'd run (probably screaming) from corporate America and the veal fattening pens...errr...cublicles. Would I never work again? I wouldn't say no for sure, but I'd never have to and that's the definition of financial freedom.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:31 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Motivation? If I got a huge lump sum, I would be taking some time to myself. It doesn't matter how much money (to an extent). The career world would always be there waiting for me.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukli View Post
people who have no clue what 5% average annual inflation means to your lump sum win, or have a clue what a decent investment MUST pay to be worth putting your money into (ie, 12% per year or just hold gold, it's much safer) or where to find such investments. i've lived all my life on a clear 20k per year. Anyone can do so (in style, actually) in quite a few very nice countries, like Chile, Uruguay, Portugal.
--The current inflation rate, while understated by the government, is not 5%.

--Most people, especially when they have the time, can find ways to save money they couldn't when they were working. They have more time as well as more energy/mental bandwidth to do so.

--The 4% rule is at least 90% reliable for a 30 year retirement. And the amount you'd need for a 60 year retirement would require taking out only a bit less (say 3.5 or 3.75%).

--You really don't need to earn 12% per year to keep the money growing. A few percentage points above the inflation rate is good enough. Even at 5% inflation, 8% returns should be plenty.

--Since 1926, stocks have returned about 10% per year. A mix of stock and bonds in the neighborhood of 7% to 8%. That covers the super high inflation years of the 1970s and early 1980s as well as the Great Depression years, when stocks lost 90% of their value from 1929-1933 (although we also had deflation during that time, so the real value drop wasn't quite as bad).

--It's not that hard to invest in a Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund plus a bond index fund....or just put it all in Vanguard Balanced Index (60% stocks & 40% bonds--all in one fund). This stuff is easier to do than ever before.

--Gold is generally a horrible investment. It appreciates at about 4% a year, much less than stocks, which average 10%. And yet gold is extremely volatile--much more volatile than stocks. A small amount of gold in a portfolio is fine, maybe 4% for diversification, but more than that is a bad idea, IMO.

--I agree with you on the last part about being able to retire fairly well on 20k a year in some of the nicer 3rd world, lower end 1st world countries. Some people can retire well on 20k a year in the U.S., most notably Jacob from Early Retirement Extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance