Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this is the correct forum for this thread.

If anyone receives a letter from a collection agency called:

"Mccarthy, Burgess & Wolff"
26000 Cannon Rd
Cleveland Ohio 44146
888-8174-1750
855-832-8033

They claim you own money and to call them.

I got sent one of these letters stating I owed 55.57 to Verizon. I knew then something was not right. I played along and called the number.
After about an hour on the phone playing the game with them, I said something isn't right here, and hung up.

Reason I knew it was a scam, I do not have Verizon, have not had Verizon in over a decade.
I asked the rep to just mail me the invoice pertaining to this debt, since they had my address already, I'd like to see it.

Funny how she says, I have to have in writing that you are requesting this, or and E mail stating this, and she gave me her E mail. I said, NO you send it to me if you want your money....

That's when she says I will have to get a supervisor on the phone as well, which she did. First thing he asks me is"can I have the last 4 of your Social", I said no, you can't, just send me the damn bill, because you are all wasting to much of my time already. I proceeded to say again, I don't have Verizon, and haven't had it in over a decade.

The I hear her saying well, I can credit this...and shes doing make believe caculations. There was a long silence and angrily I said what are you doing? That's when I stated, something isn't right here, and hung up, like I stated earlier.

I can tell by the way they were talking they were getting tongue tied, and obviously by this time I knew it was a total scam. They told me the service was for an address, that clearly wasn't mine, I googled the address and it was a multi family apartment house here in Brooklyn, NY that I do not own, or live it. LOL

It just kept getting better.

I was careful to not use the word yes, in any sentence, as I know it was being recorder.....So after I had my fun and hung up, I put the name of the collection agency on the computer, and others people said basically the same as me.

what these 2 idiots didn't realize was, i was hip to them after she told me I was the one that had to E mail them first, and I was the one that had to send a fax to them stating it was ok to release the invoice to me.

dont think so.....................

so people, beware, there is a lot of scammers out there, and they are good, but we have to be smarter........

do not be afraid of calls or letters that state you owe money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Is McCarthy Burgess & Wolff Calling You?* | Stop Collection Calls

Old 04-10-2017, 05:31 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
Someone I know got a similar letter, stating the person was being sued for a debt. This was a surprise, but they followed up on it and ended up ignoring the letter.

They will try anything these days and it seems to more of their tricks seem legit at first glance. Glad u didn't get scammed.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler
I got sent one of these letters stating I owed 55.57 to Verizon. I knew then something was not right. I played along and called the number.
After about an hour on the phone playing the game with them, I said something isn't right here, and hung up.
Im sorry you got one of these calls but Im glad you were able to keep them on so long ON THIER DIME!!!

Stupid bloody morons......

Old 04-11-2017, 01:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
IDK if this is actually a scam but I got a call on a 7 year old debt that may or not be legit - I'm not sure. So I tried to get it verified and the guy didn't want to verify it, he just wanted money.

I was like 'I haven't been in an ambulance in ........ a REALLY long time! He's all a-HA! So you HAVE taken an amublence before..........well, yes but the year you are saying and the hospital you are saying don't make any sense ........ I just wanted him to send me a bill.

He just wanted my cc number and I always start off nice but I had to raise my voice and talk over him to keep repeating I need to see a bill! I do not recognize this!

Being in an ambulence ever in my life doesn't mean I was that year to that hospital!

Crazy. On that one I really do not think it was mine. After the call I remember riding in one two years prior to the year he said but to a different hospital.

The other one that popped up on my credit report I didn't recognize, when I called the company they didn't recognize me. Couldn't find me in their system.

Asked me to send them an email. I did, and they immediately removed it from all three reports.

It's not always wrong to email them, ............ all depends on circumstances.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry you got one of these calls but Im glad you were able to keep them on so long ON THIER DIME!!!

Stupid bloody morons......
NowNow they are only trying to make a living.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
The scammers who pretend to be collection agencies are the worst kind of scum-bags. They aren't worth any more notice than you would pay a piece of dog crap that you accidentally get on your shoe.

My credit is fine, and I've gotten these calls over the years (though no letters at this point). Obviously, if you know you have good credit and/or know that the charge they're calling/writing about is bogus, just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance