Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
But most people say to put money in Roth 401k contribution anyway.
There's no one universal answer. If you're 33% bracket or higher and paying a hefty state income tax, that $24K 401(k) shelter (at age 50+) is a really good deal.

Only 6% of wage earners max out their Social Security so most people are in the 25% bracket or maybe the 28% bracket where it's not as big a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And just as obviously, those scenarios are tiny compared to the actual scenarios of folks that have bought and paid for their homes.

I have a friend that is "rent slave" (your words), and has been her entire life (she's 50). She worked 3 jobs to put daughter through college, and currently works as an office manager that is of average wages. She decided a year ago that she was going to buy a home. She scrimped, saved and did odd jobs to increase her bank account for the down payment. She is currently looking at homes in the hottest market in the US (DFW area). She hasn't found the right house yet, but she will.

She is buying a house the right way - hard work, frugal spending habits, a determination to own, and an unwillingness to fall back on excuses.

I have never seen a frugal burger flipper buy a home, and i have worked with many.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have never seen a frugal burger flipper buy a home, and i have worked with many.
Fast food store general managers buy homes all the time. Burger flipper is an entry level job.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Fast food store general managers buy homes all the time. Burger flipper is an entry level job.

The vast majority of burger flippers have no desire to manage other burger flippers.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
CNBC has confirmed that this is fake news today. No elimination of 401k from the White House.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is what scares me about roth IRAs... Their attractiveness is as a tax hedge so you pay the piper now and avoid taxation on the gains in the future. IMO they will chase wherever the money goes. So you will end up paying both the tax now and later when they get greedy.
exactly

Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Clearly no idea about the true costs of owning a home. The mortgage is only one part of it, and is the only expense that goes away when the home is paid off.

You've raised an interesting point, however. If the poverty-level retiree could afford to buy and pay off a home before retirement, why couldn't the poverty-lever employee that rents?
He didn't say or allude to a poverty level retiree being able to afford a house.

He did say a retiree with a paid off home, could do it.

In most cases, that is true.

And I live in a very expensive area of California

Remember the actual mortgage is generally the largest expense of owning

Not homeowners insurance or property taxes, generally.

freemkt is correct

Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM

With Trumps tax plan aka bullets unveiled, it appears doubling the standard deduction would allow for a low income married couple to put away about 4K more per year, UNTAXED..... into an already TAXED Roth (or 401kRoth). So they'd likely never pay taxes on that amount anyhow.

Or a single person, just half it to 2K. Not much $$ compared to his tax breaks for the rich though....

UNLESS he allows for the personal exemptions to remain. That is yet to be seen though so I am guessing this is not the case

And he's not published any actual numbers of the tax brackets so the above ^^ is based on todays stats

Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is what scares me about roth IRAs... Their attractiveness is as a tax hedge so you pay the piper now and avoid taxation on the gains in the future. IMO they will chase wherever the money goes. So you will end up paying both the tax now and later when they get greedy.
This is why my plan is to contribute to tax deferred accounts to the max while we are in 28% tax bracket, then live off savings and taxable accounts for 5-10 years, while converting to Roth and setting up a Roth ladder. I don't think I can outsmart the system, but I will try to minimize tax payments where I can.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
This is why my plan is to contribute to tax deferred accounts to the max while we are in 28% tax bracket, then live off savings and taxable accounts for 5-10 years, while converting to Roth and setting up a Roth ladder. I don't think I can outsmart the system, but I will try to minimize tax payments where I can.
You can give your children a certain amount of tax free gift $$ per year

aka giving their inheritance early. Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance