Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 AM

133 posts, read 494,146 times

Advertisements

I have some debt, including $2000 on one credit card bill (0% interest--due to medical expenses of child being born 2 yr ago), $1,900 on another credit card bill (3% interest--had to pay property taxes a few months ago and needed to put some bills on this card or else I would be in a financial hole), $2,500 on a HELOC (7%, due to divorce expenses)

I make about $70K a year, and each month put away $650 into my 401(k). I also have an additional 6% of my salary put into a state retirement fund (I have no choice with this), and I am matched 5% with this from the state. Other than social security, these are the only two mechnanisms I have for savings. I have been dilligently trying to cut expenses the past few months to get rid of this debt. I am 29 years old. During the previous 4 years, my monthly 401(k) contributions were anywhere from $300-650 a month.

The only way I can seriously eliminate this debt is to reduce the $ I contribute into my 401(k) account. Given the rather low interest rates I have on this debt, should I keep on contributing $650 a month into the 401(k)?

I am paying back the HELOC fastest (since it has the high interest rate), but I am more bothered by the two credit card bills, even though they are at 0% interest. I can indefinitely transfer the credit card balances to anothe credit card at 0% interest, less a 3% processing fee. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Pay off all adjustables ASAP.

If it's fixed and amortized over a long term, inflation might just wipe out that debt really quickly. But, inflation will also eat away at your stock portfolio. Might sound strange, but if you're betting on inflation, buy precious metals instead of paying low interest fixed debt. Reason being that in an inflationary cycle, debt will be eroded in real terms very quickly.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
You didn't say your age but unless you can earn some additional income you should probably look at paying down your credit card debt first.

Once you eliminate that debt you will be in a better position to resume a higher level of contributing to your 401k.

This would not be the desired approach if you were within 20 years of retirement IMHO.

I'd try to find a way to boost my income to pay down the credit card debt while continuing to fund my 401k as the preferred option.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
IMO, don't mess w/you investments or retirment $. Tough it out, get another job, cut down expenses. When I was in my 20's I needed more money, things were tight and I had a big chunk of money in m.funds. Easy way out was to just use that money, instead I got a part time job, worked long hours and ate ramin pride noodles or rice for every meal.

I am really glad now I went through that and left the funds alone. I still haven't touched it, it's helped me buy land, and add onto my house.

Work hard and long while you can and tough it out.

No more pop, pizza, eating out for a while. make everything from scratch.

Hope this helps, you'll get through it. Also, get a plan written down and talk to the c.card companies. They'll help you out if you have a plan. They did for me.

Good luck

Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
I have to go along with Cptn Caveman. Don't adjust your retirement savings. Adjust your spending habits. Do without a few nicities until you have the debt paid down, and then, if you find that it wasn't too painful, keep saving the money that you were putting toward the credit card debt.
The better you do now the earlier you will be able to retire. Even if you get to 50 and decide that you aren't ready to quit working, believe me, your attitude toward work is greatly improved just knowing that you could quit anytime you want.
Build good habits while you are still young.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 AM

133 posts, read 494,146 times
Default cut back on stuff

I agree. I am very frustrated, since i was doing a great job at cutting back...until I had a $300 car issue!

I am a pretty frugal person anyway, but once I started cutting back, I realized everyone wants my money...especially my ex-wife!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,947 times
At 29 you still have tons of time until retirement. One option is to eliminate the 401k contributions for now (you'll still be saving the 6% and getting 5% match) and use all that money to pay down your debts. As long as you don't put anything else on your credit cards you should be able to pay off your debt in less than a year. When your debts are payed off, fund your 401k again.

Your current savings plan is pretty good and you probably have a good headstart on your retirement when compared to other people your age. I don't think reducing your contributions for a year will hurt your retirement that much.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
I think you need to determine how much interest your 401k contributions are earning and compare this to the interest costs on the two payments with the interest amounts. you might want to make smaller payments into the 401k and payoff the debt with the highest interest first. Leave the retirement matching situation alone. whenever an employer matches your amounts, that is a good thing! if you are putting $650 each month into a 401k, you could pay off your largest debt in only 4 months by shifting those payments. this would improve your monthly cash flow. then, you can pay off the lower amount of the debt and go back to putting in your full amount into the 401k. plus, it would probably help you sleep better at night not having to worry about it. The most important thing would be that after having paid off the debt, you return to making the401k dep and living on a budget to not get into the credit card debt thing unless there is an emergency!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I disagree SG. Sam needs to NOT rely on the retirement $. He/she needs to buy what he NEEDS, and not what he wants. A problem most have is expecting the wants and the needs may get put off.

Gut check time Sam, this is your hole and you dug it.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
I'd try to find creative ways of paying off the credit cards (i.e. selling stuff on CL, take on another job, do some moonlighting)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance