Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most burger flippers are paid within a few cents of minimum wage to flip burgers. Perhaps they are paid much better in La Jolla given the cost of living there.

Oh wait, something isn't right. Professional burger flippers have an extremely low marriage rate.
lottamoxie was speaking ironically. The person described in his post was flipping burgers for fun in his own multi-million dollar home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 05:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,175,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
lottamoxie was speaking ironically. The person described in his post was flipping burgers for fun in his own multi-million dollar home.
Haha, this is kind of my dad, he's probably not a multimillionaire on paper, but easily a millionaire with a near 6 figure pension and he stocks shelves at the local grocery store for something to do.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

Yeah, I got that part. As a "rent serf" and a "wage slave" I am not amused when people mock the financially constrained.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM

18,154 posts, read 15,738,832 times
I wasn't mocking anyone. I responded to, "Really? I've never met a millionaire burger flipper..." Sorry but you walked right into it and left it wide open and Internet law requires witty reparte if one is afforded the opportunity. It's not personal.

Anyone who is working for someone else is a "wage slave." The wages might be larger or smaller but someone else is ultimately in control and can affect whether one has a job or not. But one can still save something along the way, build up a cushion even if it's slowly. And back to the topic of this thread -- it doesn't require owning a house or getting an inheritance to eventually amass a net worth of $1M. It can be done and I happen to know people who have done it, over time, albeit slowly.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Of course they do.

People are driven to look for certain qualities in a potential spouse, one of which is successful personal development. Sure there are other factors and what everyone looks for is different. Things like being physically appealling, having a compatible personality, etc. all come into play but usually people want a partner who they perceive as having the potential to provide for themselves and their family. Fair or not someone who is well into adulthood but still has career flipping burgers is more likely to be someone who makes poor choices in life and lacks stability. So they pass.

I wouldn't say it "isn't right" there are examples of similar across the animal kingdom. The career burger flipper is the springbok from the bachelor herd that never manages to outbuck the alpha male from a breeding herd to get laid.

Depends largely on gender. Women can be low-wage slackers and still get married and/or laid. Men, not so much.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I wasn't mocking anyone. I responded to, "Really? I've never met a millionaire burger flipper..." Sorry but you walked right into it and left it wide open and Internet law requires witty reparte if one is afforded the opportunity. It's not personal.

Anyone who is working for someone else is a "wage slave." The wages might be larger or smaller but someone else is ultimately in control and can affect whether one has a job or not. But one can still save something along the way, build up a cushion even if it's slowly. And back to the topic of this thread -- it doesn't require owning a house or getting an inheritance to eventually amass a net worth of $1M. It can be done and I happen to know people who have done it, over time, albeit slowly.

People with careers have intangible benefits that, in my opinion, lift them above the "wage slave" class.

I've never seen a millionaire burger flipper and I have worked with many. Ayt my workplace, the employee home ownership rate is zero.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 PM

10,357 posts, read 8,592,498 times
Quote:
People with careers have intangible benefits that, in my opinion, lift them above the "wage slave" class.

I've never seen a millionaire burger flipper and I have worked with many. Ayt my workplace, the employee home ownership rate is zero.
Interesting. I got to know some of the employees at my local McDonald's. one of them was showing me pictures of the house she just bought. Not an expensive one mind you, but surprising to me.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyone who is working for someone else is a "wage slave." The wages might be larger or smaller but someone else is ultimately in control and can affect whether one has a job or not.
This line of reasoning is insulting to real slaves, who still exist in some parts of the world. Until 2009 I worked for someone for W2 wages, but I got to set my own hours to some extent, sit in a big office, have lunch in a fancy cafeteria, meet with the world's most successful investment managers, and save somewhere between $50,000 and $200,000 a year. Some slave.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Yeah, I got that part. As a "rent serf" and a "wage slave" I am not amused when people mock the financially constrained.
As a "mortgage serf" and "wage slave", I'm not amused when the entitled expect what I've worked and planned hard for.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Interesting. I got to know some of the employees at my local McDonald's. one of them was showing me pictures of the house she just bought. Not an expensive one mind you, but surprising to me.

I'd love to know how that happened, but a Subsidy Kid living for free with parents (no rent or other bills to pay) and working a minimum wage job could certainly do it, especially where there is a state or local homebuyer assistance program. I worked various jobs in high school (had paper routes, worked in deli, seasonally mowed lawns and shoveled snow) and in the early '70s I had saved up today's equivalent of $20K+. I might have even been able to buy a house back then, but I blew the money on college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance