Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 40,643 times

Advertisements

Many websites conflict with what I found on the IRS Website cut & pasted below. It's just me and my husband. No dependents

My income-$25K
Husband Self Employment- 25K
-------
50K Earned Income (Ordinary Income)
Land Profit- $60K (for both parcels)

Both are long term capitol gains held over 1 yr at the sale

IRS STATES
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html
"Capital gains and losses are classified as long-term or short-term. If you hold the asset for more than one year before you dispose of it, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold it one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term"

"The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most taxpayers. Some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if you're in the 10% or 15% ordinary income tax brackets"

TAX BRACKETS
$0-$18,650- 10% tax bracket
$18,651-$75,900 15% tax bracket

Taxes are like a pyramid...going thru starting at zero until you get to the top but we stop at 15% when it comes to ordinary income/earned income
50K earned income combined
20K (estimate of personal exemptions, etc)
----------
30K taxable earned income
+50K land profit
---------
80K total

Except only $75,900 is allowed to stay in the 15% tax bracket.
Or do I only count the EARNED INCOME when I do the calculations to ensure I remain within 15% or under?

We will never make a ton of money flipping small parcels of land or fixer uppers but it helps greatly.

The goal is to never pay taxes on any of these flips after owning them for 1 yr and 1 day

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by Wes Schultz; 06-24-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 PM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
All earned income and other sources of income fill the bucket first.

What ever space is left in the 15% bracket can be filled with a long germ capital gain up to the point the bucket over flows .

Long term capital gains can be taxed any where from zero to almost 24% .
Remember , states that have taxes do not recognize zero capital gains brackets so the gains can be taxible

Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All earned income and other sources of income fill the bucket first.

What ever space is left in the 15% bracket can be filled with a long germ capital gain up to the point the bucket over flows .

Long term capital gains can be taxed any where from zero to almost 24% .
Remember , states that have taxes do not recognize zero capital gains brackets so the gains can be taxible
Great metaphor, thank you. So you do add them up....I

I'll check my state (Calif) if it recognizes zero capitol gains now, I think so

Thanks again mathjack

Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM

California makes you pay state tax and it is very high

But you don't pay Federal so that helps a ton

Old 06-25-2017, 02:19 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
the problem with capital gains is they can push income in to amt territory too .

we sold some lease rights and not only got hit with the 20% capital gain but the almost 4% medicare surcharge too. that tripped the amt on all other income and we had a 16k amt penalty on top of the regular tax due .

it also increased our medicare premiums by an additional 600 a month because medicare goes back two years to set your premium amount .

we were still working and not on medicare yet but since it is based on 2 years earlier it got us .

then there was nys and nyc tax too .

all in all we ended up no where near the proverbial 15% capital gain rate

Old 06-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem with capital gains is they can push income in to amt territory too .

we sold some lease rights and not only got hit with the 20% capital gain but the almost 4% medicare surcharge too. that tripped the amt on all other income and we had a 16k amt penalty on top of the regular tax due .

it also increased our medicare premiums by an additional 600 a month because medicare goes back two years to set your premium amount .

we were still working and not on medicare yet but since it is based on 2 years earlier it got us .

then there was nys and nyc tax too .

all in all we ended up no where near the proverbial 15% capital gain rate
Thank you!! What valuable information. I never thought about alt or even knew they had a lookback of 2 years for medicare. We are jamming in trying to flip houses in the next five years or so before signing up for medicare. We got smarter late in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance