Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are looking to purchase real estate in a highly competitive market, and to best position ourselves, I'd like to build her credit score. Mine is 800+, although she has significantly less history leading to a score of just 700. Nothing bad on the record, just shallow history. She's currently an authorized user on my credit card. Both scores were checked w/ the big three.

We have healthy income so I am thinking we get her a credit card with a modest limit, keep the credit utilization ratio low, and of course pay off the balance every month. Do you believe this is the best way to go about building credit fast?

Thanks in advance,
-adr3naline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I are looking to purchase real estate in a highly competitive market, and to best position ourselves, I'd like to build her credit score. Mine is 800+, although she has significantly less history leading to a score of just 700. Nothing bad on the record, just shallow history. She's currently an authorized user on my credit card. Both scores were checked w/ the big three.

We have healthy income so I am thinking we get her a credit card with a modest limit, keep the credit utilization ratio low, and of course pay off the balance every month. Do you believe this is the best way to go about building credit fast?

Thanks in advance,
-adr3naline
get 3 credit cards with high limits and keep the utilization very low

Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
get 3 credit cards with high limits and keep the utilization very low
I'm not sure that is a great strategy. Suddenly getting a lot of available credit can actually hurt your score. Plus I believe showing paying off is more important than having but not using credit. I'm not sure there is an easy eay to meaningfully change a credit score in a positive direction in a year. Since you are looking to purchase rela estate you may wantto target installment loans rather than consumer credit. Does she have any oustanding car loans or student loans? You could consider paying those more aggressively.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I'm not sure that is a great strategy. Suddenly getting a lot of available credit can actually hurt your score. Plus I believe showing paying off is more important than having but not using credit. I'm not sure there is an easy eay to meaningfully change a credit score in a positive direction in a year. Since you are looking to purchase rela estate you may wantto target installment loans rather than consumer credit. Does she have any oustanding car loans or student loans? You could consider paying those more aggressively.
I'm not sure paying off the cards or any payment activity factors in other than utilization. Not using them at all is fine

Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I am an ameteur travel hacker and have more credit cards than I can count.. Score jumped 75 points in a year from doing this.. Went from from 750's to 815-835

Old 06-29-2017, 12:19 PM

360 posts, read 372,379 times
Paying all the bills on time for one year is a good idea.
The 700 credit score should increase automatically if you don't reach the limit.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
Quote:
Agreed. I can imagine gaining access to multiple high-limit cards would prompt some questions from the financing institution.

We own both of our cars outright, but she does have some sizable student loan debt. We've organized those payments to be based off of her income, and they auto-deduct, so no late payments.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
interesting. you arent sure and the original poster agrees with you. im not throwing out my guesses and theories. my situation is similar to IonRedLine08. i actually did sign up for a bunch of credit cards in a single year and my score shot up. for years my score wasnt moving and then all the sudden a pop of around 75 points or so. ive posted about it before, ill try to find the exact point increase.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
interesting. you arent sure and the original poster agrees with you. im not throwing out my guesses and theories. my situation is similar to IonRedLine08. i actually did sign up for a bunch of credit cards in a single year and my score shot up. for years my score wasnt moving and then all the sudden a pop of around 75 points or so. ive posted about it before, ill try to find the exact point increase.
I got two in a year and my wife did the same and both scores went up as well

Old 06-29-2017, 06:48 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Credit Karma has a program that lets you estimate how your score changes for various items.
https://www.creditkarma.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance