Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 509 times

Advertisements

I'm considering refinancing my mortgage to use part of my equity to pay off school loan debt, which I'm struggling to afford monthly.

4 years ago I bought a condo for $128,000 that is now worth $195,000 today. I owe $110,000.

Since then, I went back to school and took out 35k in student loans to make a career change.

I now have an entry-level job in my new field and I'm being paid an entry-level wage. My student loans are entering repayment at about $560 a month and they are high compared to my monthly net of $1,700 before other bills. I will have very little room to afford that $560.

Even if my interest rate goes up on my new mortgage, should I considering a refinance so that I can pay off the schools loans w my equity cash out to take away the current financial and emotional burden of the student loans?

Cons:

-Real estate prices could plummet ala 2008 and I'd owe more than my place is worth.

-My mortgage is 3.5% with no PMI and current interest rates are higher.

-I've had my mortgage for 4.5 years and understand my amortization schedule will reset.

-Over the span of my lifetime, doing this will cost me more money to relieve the pressure of these payments that I feel right now.

Pros:

Pay off all my debts (besides my mortgage)

To summarize:
MY SALARY<SCHOOL LOAN PAYMENTS
EQUITY>SCHOOL LOANS

Do you have any suggestions on where the best place for me to start with talking to lenders about refinancing would be?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 PM

95 posts, read 73,547 times
Can you rent out a room instead or rent the side of your house to someone living in a trailer?

maybe provide water and sewer if you happen to live in a rural area?

If you can pay down those debts without risking your equity, that is the better way to go imo

Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Is it a private or federal loan? If the former, get on income based repayment. If private, contact the rate reduction department. They will lower the payment and the interest for 12-15 months. If you need to renew, you can.
I don't think it's a good idea to put your house on the line since you're going to go further in your career and not be stuck in the same wage .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance