Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Filed a police report today & after rigorously, though nicely questioning the officer, he didnt seem to be very optimistic, by the sound of his demeanor.
Just what exactly did you expect?

The card is closed, right?

The balance was paid in full, right?

No actual harm was done to you, right?

Law enforcement is going to put a VERY low priority on this. Yes, it's a crime but they've got bigger fish to fry.

The important thing to do is get the card closed and report it as fraudulent - to the issuing bank as well as the three credit bureaus. Then file a claim with the FTC. Just go to their site and it will be easy to find the form, and easy to fill out.

Then put a freeze on your credit via the three credit bureaus.

You may want to consider Lifelock or some such program (there are several out there). But the most important thing to do is to put a freeze on any credit issued under your name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Its a Credit One Bank / VISA/ Credit Card. The only branch is in Las Vegas, to my knowledge & Im in Southern Ca.
Sometimes scammers try a small amount first to see if it is detected. Treat it like it is a million dollars.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I just found out on Friday that, a CC had been opened & used in my name for the past few months ( Credit One Bank / $300 cl)

I suspect it was my ex room mate because, the paper bills are going to my old address. Oddly enough, whomever is doing this has made all of the payments on time although, there was an outstanding balance of 178$ on Friday BUT TODAY, it shows that the outstanding balance has been paid in full, as of 420pm yesterday.

When I called Credit One Bank on Friday, they assured me in that, they would start an investigation. Thats pretty much all that was said. As a matter of fact, it was very hard to understand what she was saying at all. VERY broken english & her answer almost seemed to be programmed & rehearsed.

After reading countless threads on this subject over the weekend, most say to definitely file a police report but also, it seems as though the police never like to get involved with these matters, let alone one that involves a mere 300$, which has all been apparently paid back. Surely, this cant be true?

What are my options of recourse here? I have never dealt with anything like this before but, I would love nothing more than to see this jerk put in jail. VERY upset over all of this.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
By the way, how did you find out about this card?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I will definitely be completing all of these steps. I just want to know that, the thief that committed this act will definitely see justice. BTW, I never said that LE gave me the brush off. I said that, from everything Ive read over the weekend, its not really a priority of theirs, especially for such a small amount of $

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding the last bit.

Yes, in general small beer amounts normally don't light a fire under local LE. I mean it *IS* their job to investigate and or arrest someone who allegedly committed such crimes, but usually unless you go down to local precinct and make a stink, don't look for an all out frontal response. *LOL*

The important thing is you did what you had to do; file a LE report. That in of itself can prove invaluable if something happens months or even years from now. Believe it or not knowing about a crime committed against you, but either letting go or not bothering to follow up can work against you later on. A judge might very well ask "why didn't you do something about "X" at the time"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance