Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 02:49 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Show me a wise person earning minimum wage and paying market rent who spends no more than 15 percent of their income on housing.

I'm living in a 3 bedroom home with 10 other non-family members. What does 'wise' have to do with it?

You are the one who brought 'wise' into this thread, and I'd like you to expand on that term.
A wise person isn't earning minimum wage, or if they are, they're not on CD they're off learning a new skill or something that gives them more bargaining power in the market for their labor.

Typically I think I spend 30% for mortgage, interest, insurance, and property taxes.

Have no idea what my income is going to be this year or future though. Ditched a bunch of my old hustles and started some new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM

49 posts, read 58,173 times
About 36% of our net income goes to our mortgage, insurance and taxes. We live on LI so our taxes are pretty high at around $10K.
Our mortgage alone without taxes and insurance is about 20% of our net income. This is after we both contribute to our 401ks, pay for health insurance and contribute to our FSA

Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
The answer to this will vary wildly dependent on various factors.

The main ones being the cost of living area, age of buyer and outside financial wealth.

All of these render the question moot because Bob in small town Iowa with a 50k job, age 50 with some inheritance money may owe nothing while Sally in Boston at age 26 might be paying 38% (or near whatever max is).

*shrug*

Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times
41.7% of my net goes toward rent. Last year it was 42% but it came down a little due to the recent increase. It used to be 37 % about five years ago.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Since you said WISE:

I bought a house. Rent out two rooms. Have one (twice as large) room for myself.

Mortgage was $1,500/month plus utilities. They pay $650 each.

My house is paid off now and I continue to get rent money.

It takes a little while to get over the fact you lose out on privacy and you have to replace your nice dishes and stuff with Dollarstore items (because they abuse everything) but it pays out.

I paid $273k for my house in 2010. Put a total of maybe $40k into it. Could sell it now for $450k.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Since you said WISE:

I bought a house. Rent out two rooms. Have one (twice as large) room for myself.

It takes a little while to get over the fact you lose out on privacy and you have to replace your nice dishes and stuff with Dollarstore items (because they abuse everything) but it pays out.

I paid $273k for my house in 2010. Put a total of maybe $40k into it. Could sell it now for $450k.
That's pretty awesome! I do something similar. I have a relative who lives with me and uses the two rooms (one as a bedroom and the other as a parlor of sorts). She pays $800 a month, but the truth is, considering fair market she's under paying. That's intentional on my part. The $800 covers room, food, utilities, her phone line, cable in one or the rooms, and I drive her everywhere ( or she takes a bus). If I were to rent both rooms out, I could make more money, but I'd be living with strangers. My mortgage is $1900 a month (including escrow for tax and insurance).

I get some help financially and and she gets a place cheaper than any other place for what she's paying. Plus I get to claim head of household. Win/win.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
That's pretty awesome! I do something similar. I have a relative who lives with me and uses the two rooms (one as a bedroom and the other as a parlor of sorts). She pays $800 a month, but the truth is, considering fair market she's under paying. That's intentional on my part. The $800 covers room, food, utilities, her phone line, cable in one or the rooms, and I drive her everywhere ( or she takes a bus). If I were to rent both rooms out, I could make more money, but I'd be living with strangers. My mortgage is $1900 a month (including escrow for tax and insurance).

I get some help financially and and she gets a place cheaper than any other place for what she's paying. Plus I get to claim head of household. Win/win.
yeah, makes total sense!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Since you said WISE:

I had a house, too. My mortgage was $750/month. IF I could have found someone to rent a room, I might have. But no one wanted to live out in the boonies with me, the only place where I could afford a house. Now, of course, I don't have the down payment or the monthly income to qualify for buying a house.

Guess I wasn't wise.

You know, some people have to make a choice between paying for college and buying a house. Most people can't do both. If you need the money for college to get a better paying job, you can kiss the house goodbye. And if you did that before 2008, your chances of buying a house now and being "wise" are substantially reduced.

So were you wise or were you just lucky?

Old 08-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I had a house, too. My mortgage was $750/month. IF I could have found someone to rent a room, I might have. But no one wanted to live out in the boonies with me, the only place where I could afford a house. Now, of course, I don't have the down payment or the monthly income to qualify for buying a house.

Guess I wasn't wise.

You know, some people have to make a choice between paying for college and buying a house. Most people can't do both. If you need the money for college to get a better paying job, you can kiss the house goodbye. And if you did that before 2008, your chances of buying a house now and being "wise" are substantially reduced.

So were you wise or were you just lucky?
I don't know why are so bitter. I did not attack you.
I wouldn't necessarily say lucky. I was lucky I didnt have to pay a dime for college ($60k for masters) which I wouldn't have gone to if it wasn't for free and I also have not started using my degree yet (GI Bill). I just graduated not too long ago.

I worked full time while going to college full time. I was unlucky with a husband who was a big spender. So it sort of evened it out.

However, we had a good downpayment because I secretly had money saved up and the market was at the lowest. I live in the bad area though. So before you are too mean in your response - I would rather live alone in the booneys than with roomies where I live now. Yesterday there was a car alarm on for two hours and no one cares. It is normal.

If he would have been more financially wise, we would have been able to put down 50%. I lived very frugal for the most part. While others spend a lot of money for food and drinks, I am the only White person in the little Mexican stores here, buying the cheap stuff. I don't shop at Vons or Ralphs because their prices are ridiculous. I often buy clothes under $10 at second hand stores.
Everyone has their own priorities - mine was the house for a long time. So some are jealous because my house is paid off - some rather pay more rent and live somewhere nicer. To each their own.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Since you said WISE:

I bought a house.
Rent out two rooms. Have one (twice as large) room for myself.

WISE is useless if you can't buy a house in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance