Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

as part of my norton virus protection you get life lock . but they want all the details of all your accounts ,credit cards ,drivers info in order to protect and cover you . no chance will i provide that to a business today , even norton .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I just have a credit monitoring service through my bank. I figured it's a subsidiary so they've had access to the info anyway. As of now that's the only "monitoring" service I have. Haven't decided about getting Equifax's free year yet. I suppose if they arrange that with all the others....it couldn't hurt since they also already have the info.

The one year free that Equifax is offering...is with the other services also? or JUST Equifax?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM

yep , they only monitor the stuff they can see . things like your tax refunds being taken , commercial loans in your name . someone just posing as you and doing all sorts of nasty's may have nothing to with your credit file monitoring .

Old 09-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just have a credit monitoring service through my bank. I figured it's a subsidiary so they've had access to the info anyway. As of now that's the only "monitoring" service I have. Haven't decided about getting Equifax's free year yet. I suppose if they arrange that with all the others....it couldn't hurt since they also already have the info.

The one year free that Equifax is offering...is with the other services also? or JUST Equifax?
just equifax .

someone opened a utility account in my wifes name . they paid the bill up until the last few months and then moved . so it took over a year to pop up . it only appeared in one credit report as not all of those who report are members of all 3 .

someone can work under your ss number and id and you get the tax bill

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-10-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can you imagine how much major and smaller companies/services that say they can to 'Lock" our "Life's" private info away from ID thieves are going to make because of this? One major company always has advertised a lot. At least I haven't seen or heard any commercials yet that allude to "a recent security breach of credit or other information."

That doesn't mean it WON"T capitalize on this or exploit the situation. I just haven't seen it yet. It may also know how major this is and figure, that it's not in it, so stay out of it and don't comment on it.....it will make enough money anyway without being perceived as exploiting the situation. Heck it MIGHT even offer limited time enrollment discount it's going to make so much. I'd be tempted but, again, that's ANOTHER company that has ALL your info under one roof.

I must admit I didn't know until recently how much some of these services can cost a month -- if you want a higher tier of service protection.
And another question I would throw out there, deriving from this, would be how real is this story? What if this story is the real hack - put out there for the same reason Kurt Russell cast his fishing $lure$ across the street in USED CARS? The profits to be milked from instilling widespread public panic are potentially huge. This could be much to do about very little....outside of that motive.

Kinda like the never-ending drumbeat of bogus computer security scares that has been the primary marketing tool for many software companies for 20 years.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
It still baffles me that companies don't bother encrypting sensitive data.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
except they likely are to young to even be in the system . has any grown ups here not come up as potentially at risk ?
Everyone must have received the same "potentially at risk" response on that website. Like an attempt at getting people to sign up for yet another 'iron clad' service. Simply soliciting more business from the 'trusting'. hmmmm.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:48 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
except they likely are to young to even be in the system . has any grown ups here not come up as potentially at risk ?
My husband and myself, married 35 years, he is supposedly not at risk and I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I agree with those who mentioned that signing up for the free credit monitoring will waive your rights in a class action, because it will waive your rights.

That is only one of the drawbacks of signing up for their free monitoring. To sign up you need to give either your debit card or credit card number. Even though the given 'monitoring period' is free, if you don't cancel the monitoring service at the time it expires then your card will be charged for future monitoring .. they will not notify you that your free period will be expiring, or has expired.
I was so glad to find this thread. I won't be signing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Everyone must have received the same "potentially at risk" response on that website. Like an attempt at getting people to sign up for yet another 'iron clad' service. Simply soliciting more business from the 'trusting'. hmmmm.
Makes you wonder, imagine the money to be made on the "service". I also don't understand why it happened over a period of May through July and they tell people in September.

I am so sick of this. We work to keep our information private and these companies that were never authorized to gather our information seem to have no regard for it when it comes to security. I am very suspicious that this was a way to drum up business.

Someone took our Discover card number and started using it fraudulently, the funny thing is that they signed up for 3 credit monitoring services, one was LifeLock and yet no one ever contacted us regarding very unusual activity, not even Discover until we threw a fit over it. We rarely use that card and go with one that immediately calls if any charge seems "not us".

Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Someone took our Discover card number and started using it fraudulently, the funny thing is that they signed up for 3 credit monitoring services, one was LifeLock and yet no one ever contacted us regarding very unusual activity, not even Discover until we threw a fit over it. We rarely use that card and go with one that immediately calls if any charge seems "not us".
Too funny! Shows you that all these "services" are about revenue, not actual protection.

Does anyone even know of someone who benefited from the various protections like credit monitoring or lifelock?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:41 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Does anyone even know of someone who benefited from the various protections like credit monitoring or lifelock?
I actually have been notified by the service I use -- of "changes to your credit report." I'd follow up online -- and the activity was legit, like a mortgage refinance or new credit card that was reported to credit agencies.

But I was still glad to get the notice. That's WHY I have the service to be notified of things like that. It's after the fact, true. But that's what those services do.....they can't report what hasn't happened yet. They don't pretend to be PRO-active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance