Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I did the Experian. Nothing looks out of place, nor are there accounts I don't recognize.

Crazy how many different times they write one address, too - one listing has my (first) apartment number as 2-N, another as 2N, which is the way I used to write it, or 2FL and FL2ND, or with both my street and PO Box addresses in one (never wrote it that way).

I'm surprised they didn't list my car loan with Sunmark from 2001. They had all my student loan stuff, even my Perkins loan that got paid to the college.
all the credit agencies can have different members reporting .we had a utility company fraud once that only appeared on one report . that is why you need to check all three .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Credit Karma is good to check your credit report, but their FICO they give isn't always accurate either. It's typically 30-40 points lower that the one I get from Citibank.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the fico bank card scores are very very heavy credit card oriented . in fact they are actually what are called bank card scores not comprehensive fico scores .. tiny changes in anything card related can have over done effects .
the discover score (FICO 8), is that what discover and other credit card companies are using to determine whether or not to approve a credit card?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:44 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,961,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Are your students loans less than 10 years old, since you paid them off? I thought most things (that are in good standing) stay on your credit report for ten years, then "fall off". So it makes sense your car loan, which I assume has long been paid off, maybe 11 years ago, is not on there any more.
I was in school from 1995 to the beginning of 2000 (fall semester 1999-2000 school year). I forget when I paid off the Perkins loan, I know it was after I moved to my first apartment in 2001. That loan was only $3,000 but it took several years. The Citibank loans totaled $25,000, and I did defer them, then consolidated them, then applied for IBR, and they finally got paid off in full 2 months ago.

They also list my Discover Card, which was opened in 1999, 2 years before I got that car loan.

AAARRGGGHH... hopefully it will bounce back up next month. Last time I went down to 780 it was back up to 809 3 months later.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the discover score (FICO 8), is that what discover and other credit card companies are using to determine whether or not to approve a credit card?
there are 52 different fico scores all weighted different ways for different lenders in different industries. which one of the 52 scores a lender uses is not known . but the credit score they give you for free is a fico 8 bank card score regardless of what they use .

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Credit Karma is good to check your credit report, but their FICO they give isn't always accurate either. It's typically 30-40 points lower that the one I get from Citibank.
no , it is not that it isn't accurate . if you read my post it is the fact the bank card scores use a different scale that runs to 900 not 850 and is not a comprehensive score

Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is only a fico 8 bank card score and uses a different scale that has a high of 900 not 850 like comprehensive fico scores ..
The score they give you on Discover card statements has a high of 850. It's Transunion FICO 8. It's Citibank that gives you a FICO score with a high of 900, an Equifax "FICO Bankcard Score 8".

Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 AM

Discover offers two different FICO 8 scores.* One is drawn on TU data and is given to people with Discover credit cards.* The other is drawn on EX data and is given to people who have signed up for a free service they offer called Credit Score Card.

typically fico 8 industry specific scores are up to 900 . i can't find anything that says discovers fico 8 industry specific bank card score's dont run to 900 .

the fico 8 base score is 850 but that differs from the bank card scores which can run higher . except for citi who tells you they go to 900 , i do not see the exact ranges they use disclosed for discover .

Part 2: Industry-specific FICO® Scores
Industry-specific FICO® Scores are versions of FICO® Scores that are optimized for a certain type of credit product, such as auto loans or credit cards. The foundation of these versions is the same as the base FICO® Score versions, but they are fine-tuned based on industry-specific risk behavior.
What’s the difference between base FICO® Scores and industry-specific FICO® Scores?
Base FICO® Scores, such as FICO® Score 8, are designed to predict the likelihood of not paying as agreed in the future on any credit obligation, whether it’s a mortgage, credit card, student loan or other credit product.
Industry-specific FICO® Scores are designed to assess the likelihood of not paying as agreed on a specific type of credit obligation—car loans or credit cards, for example.
Industry-specific FICO® Scores incorporate the predictive power of base FICO® Scores while also providing lenders a further-refined credit risk assessment tailored to the type of credit the consumer is seeking. For example, auto lenders and credit card issuers may use FICO® Auto Score or a FICO® Bankcard Score, respectively, instead of base FICO® Scores.
FICO® Auto Scores and FICO® Bankcard Scores have these aspects in common:
Many lenders may use these scores instead of the base FICO® Score
It is up to each lender to determine which score they will use and what other financial information they will consider in their credit review process
The versions range from 250-900 (compared to 300-850 for base FICO® Scores) and higher scores continue to equate to lower risk

http://www.myfico.com/credit-educati...core-versions/

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-22-2017 at 02:59 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 04:27 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,945,380 times
Gee, you sound like our oldest son. He views Credit Scores as an electronic game and is always trying to improve his, which was pretty darn good before he discovered he could manipulate it higher yet.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:03 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,961,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Gee, you sound like our oldest son. He views Credit Scores as an electronic game and is always trying to improve his, which was pretty darn good before he discovered he could manipulate it higher yet.
I'm a (lower-level) gamer, too! Plus, I've been feeling on top of the world having those darn loans paid off *finally* and keeping up with my other bills and keeping my CC paid off (I had a $4,000+ balance not so long ago!) that this knocked me back a bit! When I saw that 848 last month it blew me away.

I mean, you never know when you may have to buy on credit. When I moved into my current apartment last year, I needed to buy a couch and a new bed (my old ones had been smoked damaged in a fire, and my old bed had had the bedroom ceiling fall onto it during that fire). I bought my new couch with a check, but financed the bed. Thankfully, that was paid off by October!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance