Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times

Advertisements

I don't know if The concept of Enough has ever been mentioned here but once understood it can make your life, and choices, much easier.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Concep...ugh&id=3962843

Note there are other articles so google to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
For so many people this idea of "enough" is akin to settling, being passive, being a doormat, unable to handle competition, having no ambition or drive, just "being average". Over the years listening to people who are recruiting to fill jobs or applying for them, it seems that the qualities wanted are usually "outstanding leader", overachiever, star players, aggressive, competitive, or driven. I overhear parents haranguing or rewarding their kids only if they are aggressive, win at all costs, don't accept 2nd place, get the upper hand, be the best, etc. What does society reward? The winners, the highest scores, the fastest, the biggest, the superlatives in various fields.

IMHO these emotional/behavioral messages play into this feeling that enough isn't good enough. Personally, I happen to believe otherwise. I am not horribly ambitious, but that does not mean I do not care, do not love the job, do not work hard, do things well or correctly, or accomplish what is necessary. Thinking back to all the performance evaluations when my supervisor commented that I would have received a higher rating if I had all the traits listed above. Basically, I am less valued if I am not the star of the office. My projects don't compete for funding, the work doesn't make the internal achievements news items, don't get written up as outstanding front page items. All these "failures" don't seem to reflect that the work is done, and done well "enough" to meet legal, industry, organizational, or ethical standards. Am I supposed to feel guilty or ashamed of having some sense of enough?

I spent just about all of my career in government service. That broad brush saying we hear tossed around about "good enough for government work" irritates me a lot. Just like any other profession, there is good and bad. In the agencies I happened to work in, you would be hard pressed to find many slackers, careless or unethical employees. They are probably the exception. The intent of the saying falls into the same "trap". That nothing government does is more than the bare minimum, borderline acceptable, merely adequate. Just not true for the majority.

The articles you mentioned discuss the fiscal aspects of this sense of never having enough. The constant inner message that you or your company will fail unless you chase the unreachable pinnacle. I suspect it has a very personal and deep seated origin.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-28-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Very interesting article and very timely for me Op. I planning on retiring in 2 years and of now of course the question is "how much is enough".

How do you plan for an unknown future and do you keep striving for "more" to try an insure against that future.

One problem I find is that society always tells you to get "more", the message in the example of working and retirement is that you will always need "more" because XYZ might happen.

I'm learning to embrace the concept of "enough".

Old 09-29-2017, 06:42 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I don't know if The concept of Enough has ever been mentioned here but once understood it can make your life, and choices, much easier.

Please can people get this through their dense heads! This disgusting greed is really causing this country to fall apart. So just because you want your 2nd private jet and 8th vacation home, you really don't have any conception of how that's RUINING the lives of millions of people???!!! Enough is enough people! And when you get that 2nd jet, it's just not going to be good enough, you'll have to get another one. That 8th vacation home was alright, but here's another one you just GOT to have. WHEN WILL YOU REALIZE THAT YOU'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh--it's enough to drive you completely NUTS (as apparently what may be going on here, okay, I can realize that). People just suck majorly. They're so frickin self-centered. They just want to have it all and screw everyone else. Even when they're NEVER going to have it all because it will NEVER be enough.

PLEASE CAN WE GET RID OF THESE PARASITES TO OUR SOCIETY SOMEHOW?????? Don't think it's possible though. People are just damn greedy and it's not going to end until we become a third world country again. But then they'll just get on their private jets and move to another country and all us riff-raff will be left with the mess. Geez, and people really think this life's a pleasant place to be? Get real. You haven't seen enough or lived enough.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
The sticky wicket is that what's enough for one person -- may not be "enough" for someone else.

I thinkkkk most people eventually get to a point of 'enough is enough.' But some don't.
For example studies show that once a person makes about 70K, (I think that was the number) their level of happiness really doesn't increase much after that even if they continue to make more and more money.

Personally, that level of 70k was too low for me. So, no -- 70k was not enough for me.

Also, what's 'enough' clearly changes as a person ages, or as a person just manages to get the things and financial comfort level they wanted (what ever level that is). That's why MOST people in their 60s are not in the accumulation phase of life -- as they were when they were in their 30s.

But many people with 'more than enough' also help other people. They have so much, so they are in a position to help those who don't have.
I'd bet most million- and billionaires to lots of good work with at least some their wealth. But some don't.
Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are doing good -- some tin horn dictator who is robbing his country blind and living with 24k faucets.....is NOT.

But studies also show that people who don't have more than enough -- also give to help others. Some people are willing to share 'what little they have.'

I do think it's easier to say 'enough is enough' when you've had more. It's also a 'values based' sort of issue.
Yes, a person may need a car. Do they need a Lexus or Mercedes? No. They need an engine and four wheels that will be transportation. But IF they can afford a Mercedes, why should they feel guilty about buying one. However IF they buy a Mercedes -- but don't have any money saved for their own care....then THAT could affect taxpayers

As long as we are human beings (human animals) -- the world isn't going to be some peachy keen, let's all live in a commune, love, peace and worship nature kind of place.

There will always be the "WANT" -- vs -- "NEED" struggle.

DO I think it's a shame when people work themselves to death and never GET TO "enough is enough?" Sure. But that's not me. I do have a level where enough would be enough. (haven't achieved it yet though).

And as long as a person accquires whatever they have -- in a LEGAL way and doesn't hurt others for their gain -- what they do is on them.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
In the acquisition stages of one's life, the concept of "enough" is typically a 'race' to keep-up with or exceed the Jones's. After retirement, "enough" morphs into a desire to live in reasonable comfort for the rest of one's life, in spite of unforeseen health and life issues. The uncertainties of life and the future keep people striving for "enough" throughout this life.

In my experience, only those whose hopes and desires depend on a life and future beyond this world, achieve "enough" to live their lives in the "peace that passes all understanding" ... regardless of the amount of 'stuff' they may have.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

How can the concept of enough make life at poverty level better?

Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Read about Jacob Lund Fisker when you get a chance. He lives off of ~$7k/yr in the Bay area. I'd say that's a life of poverty from a financial standpoint.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/ho...-per-year.html

Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Poverty all to often use other peoples definition of what poverty is.

poverty: the state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions

Old 09-29-2017, 12:19 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
One has to ask just WHAT it is that they want more of. Then one has to ask WHY it is that they want more. Then one has to ask HOW they are sabotaging personal values to achieve those things. Then one has to ask WHERE that all ends up at the end of life.

Have you ever noticed that the richest of the rich often have an epiphany as they confront the fact that they will die? Carnegie was someone who clawed others down mercilessly in his rise to the top. His library grants were his apology. The list of others is endless.

When you are sitting outside of a taco truck on a sunny day, enjoying your taco and the feel of the breeze and sun on your face, is your taco more pleasurable if you have more money? Chances are, the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance