Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 PM

23,643 posts, read 12,561,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The credit-reporting giant Equifax warned on Thursday that more than 100 million Americans could be affected by a cyber hacking that hit the company’s secure data.

According to the company’s officials, hackers got access to information for nearly 44% of the U.S. population.

The hack occurred from mid-May through July 2017.
EQUIFAX hacked --143 million Americans had their personal information stolen

It's a good time to check your credit reports, all of them and not just EQ, using reports from the CRA's or using a third party like Creditkarma, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,442 times
Lovely (insert sarcasm here). I swear it feels like every few months my information is at risk because of these kinds of attacks. I am sure others feel the same: words can't describe how annoying it is!

Anyway, thanks berdee. I heard it from you first. Time to review everything and freeze my credit yet again just to be on the safe side. I don't plan on opening any lines of credit anytime soon anyway.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 PM

23,643 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Lovely (insert sarcasm here). I swear it feels like every few months my information is at risk because of these kinds of attacks. I am sure others feel the same: words can't describe how annoying it is!

Anyway, thanks berdee. I heard it from you first. Time to review everything and freeze my credit yet again just to be on the safe side. I don't plan on opening any lines of credit anytime soon anyway.
I completely agree.

I'd frozen my reports years ago, I have all of the credit that I want or need, and don't see needing any new lines of credit in the near or far future. Though, if there does come a time when I do need a type of credit that I don't have then it's a fairly painless process to thaw a report for a short period of time.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 AM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
Go to this site to see if you are affected. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/...ushpmg00000313

Click on Potential Impact and it has you enter your last name and last 6 of your SSN. I did this morning and it showed us as likely compromised. From there it will take you to a link to enroll in their free monitoring service.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Go to this site to see if you are affected. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/...ushpmg00000313

Click on Potential Impact and it has you enter your last name and last 6 of your SSN. I did this morning and it showed us as likely compromised. From there it will take you to a link to enroll in their free monitoring service.
Moderator cut: .

I will not enroll in anything of theirs especially after this breech. Also signing up with them "could" waiver your right to participate in any class action lawsuits against them. A class action lawsuit has been filed so keep on top of that. Based on the article linked TrustedID Premier, an Equifax service has a fine print that waivers your right.

According to Bloomberg, the lawsuit was filed in Portloand, Oregon. Customers say that Equifax has been negligent when it comes to information security. Two firms are leading the class action lawsuit, Olsen Daines PC and Geragos & Geragos. They’re asking for billions in damages.

Last edited by toosie; 09-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Please don't swear or try to trick the profanity filter

Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 AM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
F$%@ Equifax to say the least.

I will not enroll in anything of theirs especially after this breech. Also signing up with them "could" waiver your right to participate in any class action lawsuits against them. A class action lawsuit has been filed so keep on top of that. Based on the article linked TrustedID Premier, an Equifax service has a fine print that waivers your right.

According to Bloomberg, the lawsuit was filed in Portloand, Oregon. Customers say that Equifax has been negligent when it comes to information security. Two firms are leading the class action lawsuit, Olsen Daines PC and Geragos & Geragos. They’re asking for billions in damages.
Interesting. When you check your id, it gives you a link and a date you are eligible to enroll. I didn't enroll yet. I think the smarter thing to do is freeze our credit for awhile.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
is anyone not potentially at risk on that list with 143 million people hacked

Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM

472 posts, read 474,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
is anyone not potentially at risk on that list with 143 million people hacked
Yes the other half of the population

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
except they likely are to young to even be in the system . has any grown ups here not come up as potentially at risk ?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
F$%@ Equifax to say the least.

Came here to say the same thing. Don't sign up for their "free" service. It's a bit like shooting you in the foot and then absolving themselves of any liability by giving you a band-aid. I hope a judge strikes down their arbitration clause.

All of my (three) credit cards offer free credit monitoring as part of their service now. Chances are anyone with a credit card will have at least one that does, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance