Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

I have never had a credit card and never will. I pay in checks or cash only.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I just want to see how many people live without using credit cards.

How many of you are actually in a position to pay cash for everything(excluding mortgage) ?
I live paycheck to paycheck...every two weeks I get paid, and I pay for those things I need. I have no credit.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
I budget so I'm actually in a position to pay cash for everything.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,902 times
Credit cards have their use. For example, for travel reservations, you almost always need credit cards. If you pay with cash or checks for plane tickets for example and the airline goes out of business, you are out of luck. Since 4 airlines went out of business this past week, many people are wishing they paid by credit cards.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Credit cards have their use. For example, for travel reservations, you almost always need credit cards. If you pay with cash or checks for plane tickets for example and the airline goes out of business, you are out of luck. Since 4 airlines went out of business this past week, many people are wishing they paid by credit cards.
CM, you got that one right. I am taking an airline trip in a couple of weeks, going for a visit to GA. Before checking the web for cheap ticket prices I scan the business news to see if the stock prices of any airline I might fly on is plummeting or if they have thousands of flights grounded for emergency safety checks. I use a credit card to pay for airline tickets and rental cars when on a trip away from home. I don't use credit cards for many other things, and never carry over a balance to the next month. I use my debit card at gas stations, hotels and large retail or grocery stores. I never hand over the debit card to somebody to run through a scanner that is not within my view. That means cash only at restaurants. Cash only at mom and pop stores.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I use 1 credit card whenever I can. (AMEX blue).

I accumulated $750 last year in free money just by paying my balance off in full every month.

They (AMEX) hate people like me.....

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
CM, you got that one right. I am taking an airline trip in a couple of weeks, going for a visit to GA. Before checking the web for cheap ticket prices I scan the business news to see if the stock prices of any airline I might fly on is plummeting or if they have thousands of flights grounded for emergency safety checks. I use a credit card to pay for airline tickets and rental cars when on a trip away from home. I don't use credit cards for many other things, and never carry over a balance to the next month. I use my debit card at gas stations, hotels and large retail or grocery stores. I never hand over the debit card to somebody to run through a scanner that is not within my view. That means cash only at restaurants. Cash only at mom and pop stores.
This is a good point. Not to be paranoid, but I have heard from many people that their "amounts" on the monthly statement don't match what they "think" they charged (can't find receipt). I disputed two charges, for the first time, on last month's bill. One, they never got back to the cr card company. It was a reputable grocery store. I'd actually remembered noticing the scanner was turned away from me the last few times and I KNOW I didn't charge that much at one time there. The other one, the clerk put in the wrong amount (data entry thing) and I signed it, felt rushed. I disputed that one and they sent me a check.

I think there IS scamming going on and suddenly people are all telling me this. You raise a good point about always watching the scanner and insisting that you see it, also never handing it over. There was a guy at a popular tourist store downtown here, taking cell phone photos of people's credit cards before giving them back and selling the #'s. Someone was watching him and thought he was fiddling around w/the card too long, and he got caught.

Sorry state, but we do have to protect ourselves.....

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
I have most of my monthly bills like cable etc charged to my cards. I know how much they will be so I send a check at the first of the month when I pay my other bills onlne.. This keeps my cards active and I get money back. And it helps my credit score. If I have a big expense like a furnace repair I use my card then I go online and cut a check.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times
I like to use my credit cards for internet shopping.

I don't feel comfortable putting my debit card online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance