Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times

Advertisements

I would like to know from those of you that do your own taxes what software or online tax service you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
Low cost: TaxCut (Made by H&R Block)
Free (with promos for the paid version): TaxACT
TaxACT has free Fed. e-mail but no state return (unless you pay for it).

Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
None.

Instead attend one of the annual IRS courses.

To begin to think about filing taxes, after the tax year has already passed, it is too late.

We have found that we need to have the knowledge 'during' the tax year. As we are making budget decisions, as we purchase things, we consider will this go onto a schedule 'C', or an 'E', or an 'F'. How are we going to use this expense to keep us fully sheltered?

No software, and no accountant can do that for you; after the tax-year has gone to history.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
I couldn't have said it better! At Internal Revenue Service there is a wealth of information - all free! What to do if you can't pay; how to file an extension; frequently asked questions; how to contact a tax advocate; etc., etc.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:23 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times
Post Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I would like to know from those of you that do your own taxes what software or online tax service you would recommend?
About.com has reviews of freeware. They're free with AGI limits of up to $54k.
Tax Reviews

Forbes has "Best of the Web" reviews as well.
Tax Sites

The IRS has a similar list with the software provider's ad/description rather than an "independent" review.
E-file Solutions (http://www.irs.gov/efile/lists/0,,id=101223,00.html - broken link)

I don't qualify for the freeware and don't care to pay. I select any software (i.e., Turbo Tax) and go through the motions, without actually filing. This ensures I remember to take all deductions, credits, and properly account for special situations (i.e., moving , a new business). As I navigate through the screens, I simply complete my taxes in PDF available on IRS.gov. I cut and paste my information into the appropriate forms as I go. It keeps me organized, checks my math, and I remain thoroughly underwhelmed.

You can easily find each relevant form by "topic" on the IRS site.
Forms by Topic (http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98171,00.html - broken link)

Hope some of that is helpful. Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance