Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

First time in my 20 year credit history that I missed a payment. 2 days late and got $27 late fee slapped on.

How much of a drop can I expect in my credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
It’s not typcially reported until you are 30 days late or more

Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Just call them with an apology and ask for forgiveness. They usually waive the late fees, and all is back to normal.
Make your payment ASAP. They will not report it .

"Get late fees waived. You don't even need a good reason to ask your credit card company to waive a late fee. You may think to ask to have fees waived when unexpected things come up or if you never got a bill in the mail, but according to the new survey, credit card issuers may be more generous than you think."
How can you get an interest rate lowered or late fees waived? Just ask! | Clark Howard

Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s not typcially reported until you are 30 days late or more
This. It's not 'credit bureau late'. It's credit card company extra profit late.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 AM

304 posts, read 295,814 times
Actually, this depends. I had a mistake like that years ago because I hadn't set up my autopay correctly, paid the late fee moved on, only to discover a 75 point drop in credit score. I simply disputed it with the bureau and it was removed. Had a fraudulent card taken out in my name with a minor charge on it before I caught it. 150 point drop for 30+ days late. Again, took care of it and then disputed it with credit reporting bureau and score went right back up.

So even if you are at fault (ie you know you were late), there is always the option to dispute if it hits your credit report. So many people don't dispute or think they aren't allowed if they feel they were at fault, but it's silly not to even try

Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Actually, this depends. I had a mistake like that years ago because I hadn't set up my autopay correctly, paid the late fee moved on, only to discover a 75 point drop in credit score. I simply disputed it with the bureau and it was removed. Had a fraudulent card taken out in my name with a minor charge on it before I caught it. 150 point drop for 30+ days late. Again, took care of it and then disputed it with credit reporting bureau and score went right back up.

So even if you are at fault (ie you know you were late), there is always the option to dispute if it hits your credit report. So many people don't dispute or think they aren't allowed if they feel they were at fault, but it's silly not to even try
The credit card companies aren’t reporting two days late

Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The credit card companies aren’t reporting two days late
Except I just wrote that it happened to me. In my case it was five days late. It's absurd to respond to someone with "nope, didn't happen".

Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Except I just wrote that it happened to me. In my case it was five days late. It's absurd to respond to someone with "nope, didn't happen".
Um, you wrote 30+ days late.

I missed a payment once too, sucked they hit me with a late fee, when I called in to make the payment their waived it. I don't remember why. But I was happy. Never hit my credit score.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Um, you wrote 30+ days late.

I missed a payment once too, sucked they hit me with a late fee, when I called in to make the payment their waived it. I don't remember why. But I was happy. Never hit my credit score.
Um, no dear, I wrote about two instances. One similar to the OP's and then another that was 30+ days late for a fraudulent card. Both hit my credit report.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
Like others have said, call them and ask if they can waive it. Most times they will waive it for you. I missed twice by 1-2 days in each instance due to international travel and forgot about them. I called the CC company each time and they waived it. One was Capital One and the other AMEX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance