Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Perfectly consistent? I don't think so
Imperfectly consistent, then, at least with a small data set. Not much room to argue that the postwar boom was over by 1973-4 and had declined from the mid-1960s. Some indexes show otherwise, but not the big picture.

Quote:
According to Federal Reserve data from a few years ago, the savings rate even among the "next 9%", which is the highest income earners, excluding the top 1%, is only 12% in aggregate.
I wouldn't argue. Surprised it's even that high since 2008 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It wssn't long after this (1986) that almost all interest was no longer tax deductible.
That was a good thing, in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I had a boss who was Mormon and was curious about the food storage thing so he brought some in to show me. It was a big silver foil bag of wheat.

If I had wheat to work with I'd probably starve anyway.
All your wives can grind it into flour and turn out bread all day.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That was a good thing, in my opinion.
I agree. It's a cost of living that lifestyle; your expense, not everyone's.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I had a boss who was Mormon and was curious about the food storage thing so he brought some in to show me. It was a big silver foil bag of wheat.

If I had wheat to work with I'd probably starve anyway.
There are lots of other options besides that. Evangelical Christians Like Jim Bakker have stuff that looks more appealing. Hate him if you want, but this is a good idea:

https://www.wisefoodstorage.com/720-...SABEgKU__D_BwE

Old 02-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Imperfectly consistent, then, at least with a small data set. Not much room to argue that the postwar boom was over by 1973-4 and had declined from the mid-1960s. Some indexes show otherwise, but not the big picture.
That doesn't mean people can't save. We lost discipline just when we needed it most. I think the biggest thing that hurt people financially is our 40% out of wedlock birth rate. That's a disaster. And even liberal researchers are admitting it. When you do stuff like have kids outside of marriage, it makes you more financially vulnerable, less able to bargain for better wages, etc. and/or become dependent on government welfare programs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5015b40b718d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I wouldn't argue. Surprised it's even that high since 2008 or so.
They can do a lot better. The top 10% income level starts at $133k per year. I saved more than 12% for years and made less than half that amount in a high cost area.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/ho...ou-top-1-5-10/

Old 02-03-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean people can't save.
No, but if both real income and perceived income are dropping or flat, and cost of living is going up, even those with discretionary income are less likely to save. None of these things exists in a vacuum.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Quote:
There are lots of other options besides that. Evangelical Christians Like Jim Bakker have stuff that looks more appealing. Hate him if you want, but this is a good idea:

https://www.wisefoodstorage.com/720-...SABEgKU__D_BwE
I unfortunately have a cable system that exposes me to religious kooks like Bakker who peddles the "end of days" scenario.

I don't know what is worse....surviving a nuclear holocaust or eating the junk food he peddles!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:00 PM

166 posts, read 116,999 times
In California I'd say at least 50% of us are participating in a retirement plan.

It is unclear why they assume people are not saving with the numerous options available. Some will save it in their mattress, some 401k, some none and rely on pensions, some in gold or silver purchased (we have friends going this route) some with other types of retirement accounts, independently buying stocks/ bonds/real estate, and many utilizing a combination of these savings vehicles. Also some folks will be set utilizing just their inheritance

To try to figure out something so personal as to how much a person has saved for retirement is almost impossible.
Choose just one vehicle, the MOST outdated savings vehicle, to base your findings on makes no sense

Last edited by DaddyLongLeg; 02-05-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I unfortunately have a cable system that exposes me to religious kooks like Bakker who peddles the "end of days" scenario.
...? You've either lost the remote or have unbelievably basic cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance