Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to quote the sources, because we've all seen the articles in passing, but it's scary to think that something like 60% of American's practically have nothing at all in savings. I would bet that even fewer have money invested that they can one day live off of. I'm really worried that when the next "great recession" arrives things could get really ugly. It's scary to think that if you have as little as $500 stashed away in a savings account that you are probably doing better than half your peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I'm not going to quote the sources, because we've all seen the articles in passing, but it's scary to think that something like 60% of American's practically have nothing at all in savings. I would bet that even fewer have money invested that they can one day live off of. I'm really worried that when the next "great recession" arrives things could get really ugly.

I think I read before an article on CNBC that 70% of American's can't come up with $1000 for a emergency without borrowing money.

Terrible. I'm not sure whether wealth inequality in the US is caused by people's stupid financial decisions or the tax system.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
Like most things in life, I think the problem might be worst than we realize. For example, someone might have $10,000 saved up, but owe $20,000 in credit card debt.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Like most things in life, I think the problem might be worst than we realize. For example, someone might have $10,000 saved up, but owe $20,000 in credit card debt.
I won't be surprised.

I saw another article the other day from CNN Money saying that the average price of a new car paid is approaching $33K and the length of the car loan is now hitting 68? or 70 month average. (More people are choosing to pay over 72/84 months than 60 is what that average tells me).

I mean that's just insanity. I mean, the little things I don't really care too much about like spending a bit of money on food and little things, but for larger purchases, most people are just insane when it comes to homes (and everything inside it, like appliances, renovations, etc..) and cars. I don't know how people can justify those kinds of purchases since they're responsible for paying it back.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
I'm not going to quote the sources, because we've all seen the articles in passing, but it's scary to think that something like 60% of American's practically have nothing at all in savings. I would bet that even fewer have money invested that they can one day live off of. I'm really worried that when the next "great recession" arrives things could get really ugly. It's scary to think that if you have as little as $500 stashed away in a savings account that you are probably doing better than half your peers.
no one I know who has suffered in the last recession is now handling their finances any better. People are stupid. They don't learn through mistakes. It will hit the same people again.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
no one I know who has suffered in the last recession is now handling their finances any better. People are stupid. They don't learn through mistakes. It will hit the same people again.
I was a kid at the time (18) who didn't know anything better except see the pain and misery. I think growing up during that time changed my financial habits I developed now that I'm 27. I'm very financially conservative for someone my age. lol

But others I see, not so much.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
If your peer group has nothing saved, you need a new peer group...

Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
nothing new, its been said over and over.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
nothing new, its been said over and over.
And none of the pundits - pipes, beards, Ph.D's, sonorous voices and animated charts notwithstanding - has quite figured out the why of it.

I guess I need to come up with a catchy little acronym for Yet Another Reason I Don't Think Conventional Economic Theory Is Worth Wiping My Bum With, but insert the placeholder here.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Probably because things are HIGH and people are living beyond their means to keep things they can't afford like new cars. Or when you have kids there is no such thing as a savings account because they need clothes and food in addition to other things. That's why lots of parents I work with have two jobs so they can make ends meet. So that money is not going into a savings account it;s going toward the things below

1. Gas money
2. Bills
3. Rent
4. Kids
5. Car Insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance