Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times

Advertisements

Housing is just downright scary. I feel like there was more freedom to live where you wished to in the past. Not just exclusive enclaves and neighborhoods which have existed throughout time, but huge swaths of regions, cities, suburbs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
In aggregate, Millennials aren't too different from other generations. But when you get into details, I think they tend to be more extreme. Either they really have their act together--or they really don't. And there's not much in between.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In aggregate, Millennials aren't too different from other generations. But when you get into details, I think they tend to be more extreme. Either they really have their act together--or they really don't. And there's not much in between.
But is that any different from prior 20-30 somethings? Isn't that pretty much the age, generation after generation, when people either really grow up, or become children with credit cards and "huge" paychecks?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Much like income inequality, that's something you choose based upon the decisions in life you make.
So... your economic situation at 30 is what you've chosen it to be, and nothing more?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:18 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Housing is just downright scary. I feel like there was more freedom to live where you wished to in the past. Not just exclusive enclaves and neighborhoods which have existed throughout time, but huge swaths of regions, cities, suburbs, etc.
If you think housing today is scary, try going back to 1981 and buying a home. The interest rates for mortgages got as high as 18%! I bought my first home in the mid 1980's and did something drastic -- I took on an ARM rather than a fixed rate mortgage. This was scary for someone conservative with money, but it worked out well with rates actually decreasing. Now fixed rate mortgages are so low one would never consider an ARM. Of course, I'm assuming they still offer ARMs.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
If you think housing today is scary, try going back to 1981 and buying a home. The interest rates for mortgages got as high as 18%! I bought my first home in the mid 1980's and did something drastic -- I took on an ARM rather than a fixed rate mortgage. This was scary for someone conservative with money, but it worked out well with rates actually decreasing. Now fixed rate mortgages are so low one would never consider an ARM. Of course, I'm assuming they still offer ARMs.
yes. lot of people freak out if interest rates rise a little. OMG it's 4.5%, I will never pay that much-forget the house. Those of us that had those 18% loans ( I had 3 of them with rentals) look at rates today and think how wonderful it is.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Now fixed rate mortgages are so low one would never consider an ARM. Of course, I'm assuming they still offer ARMs.
They do, and they can still make sense. I got into a 10/1 ARM 4 years ago. The monthly cost was within a few dollars of a 30yr fixed... Even if I had made just the normal payment, the loan would be paid off in 15 years, with many tens of thousands less in interest.

It was a no-brainier for us and I'm frustrated/angry that the 3 Prior home loans we've had, the loan officer didn't bother mentioning it.

As for housing, I'm wondering if as time moves on those who want affordable housing will migrate rural where you can buy beautiful old homes for $60k. Vast swaths of the country with dirt cheap property, clearly with Other issues/complications, but for those who want to be home owners, it's very possible.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
They do, and they can still make sense. I got into a 10/1 ARM 4 years ago. The monthly cost was within a few dollars of a 30yr fixed... Even if I had made just the normal payment, the loan would be paid off in 15 years, with many tens of thousands less in interest.

It was a no-brainier for us and I'm frustrated/angry that the 3 Prior home loans we've had, the loan officer didn't bother mentioning it.

As for housing, I'm wondering if as time moves on those who want affordable housing will migrate rural where you can buy beautiful old homes for $60k. Vast swaths of the country with dirt cheap property, clearly with Other issues/complications, but for those who want to be home owners, it's very possible.
I don't think people even have to go rural. There a lot of places in the rust belt with semi-decent homes going for <$60k even.

Take this example from Rochester, NY:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/13_zm/0_mmm/

The house isn't amazing, but for the price, you could afford that mopping floors.

The truth is, if you want a house bad enough, you can find somewhere in the US where you can afford it.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Interest rates can be renegotiated. You can’t renegotiate what is owed on the mortgage

Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
From an economic standpoint, the argument can certainly be made that millennials are different than other generations before them. They are much worse off when you consider real estate prices, student loan debt, and the ever increasing income inequality.

But whatever generation is after millennials will have it much worse.
from a quality of life standpoint millennials have it best...

no Great Depression, no World War One, no wwii, no Cold War, no polio

they get "yolo" for cheap, cheap travel, cheap vacations, cheap goods

they didn't even get hit by the recession in 08-09 because most of them were in school and not working/had financial obligations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance