Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Discovered 2 separate fraudulent charges, same store, on my credit card statement. After contacting cc company, requesting new card...now wondering how many ways there are to get this cc number.

The cc has not been out of my presence. It is a chipped card, use it mainly at the grocery store and for online purchases. Also direct deductions to pay bills at local gas co., cable co., and electric co.

So it could be someone at any of these businesses who stole the number...what about the security no.??
Wouldn't that be required to use the card?

Any other ways to obtain the cc no.?

Also, is the bank able to track the address that merchandise would be mailed or delivered to...and arrest someone?
Many ways for this to occur. Data breaches at stores, skimmers, randomizers, etc.

It's better to accept that it's going to happen occasionally and just monitor your accounts frequently to catch it as soon as it happens.

Also, as said above - this is why credit card usage is preferred over debit cards. You're not liable for fraud in either case, but in only one case is your entire checking account frozen until things get sorted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Many ways for this to occur. Data breaches at stores, skimmers, randomizers, etc.

It's better to accept that it's going to happen occasionally and just monitor your accounts frequently to catch it as soon as it happens.

Also, as said above - this is why credit card usage is preferred over debit cards. You're not liable for fraud in either case, but in only one case is your entire checking account frozen until things get sorted out.

Would it be more likely internet data breach over cc breach at a store?

Old 04-10-2018, 04:27 PM

17,595 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:

No way to tell. I mean, look at my example.. It was a skimmer INSIDE a gas pump. Others here have noted how they were fooled by an ATM with a skimmer on it.

I actually saw a Youtube video of a news report that showed a guy slapping a skimmer in place within 5 seconds, while a guy was standing at the register and neither the guy or the cashier noticed.

Watch this.. Happens at about 40 seconds in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enhAmCFKUXs

Old 04-10-2018, 05:21 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times
I have 5 credit cards and on average one of them is compromised every year. I call and get the amount credited and a new CC is shipped out to me. It's kind of an expected occurrence to me. I only had an issue once

I had some person steal my information and use it on QVC and they bought a video game and had it shipped to Florida, which I live 2,500 miles from. I contested the charge and it got credited and I threw away the paperwork from the bank like always.

About a year later I got a letter from
A collection agency. I told them it was fraud. They'd sell it to a new CA. Same deal. It got sold like 6 times in two years. I told every one that they was fraud and already confirmed by my bank. After the 3rd or 4th sold debt I just ignored the notices. This never made it to my credit report so I didn't care. At some points I thought of paying the $60 settlement amount just to do away with the trouble. It's been about 3 years now and no contact.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, I don’t think any of my breaches have been using my CC online. I say that because none of the times I’ve been hacked had anything to do with a card I used for online purchases. I’d like to think those transactions are pretty secure, but I limit what I do online to a specific card and my Amazon card.

Restaurants where a server can take a picture of your card, front and back, gas stations with skimmers and the incidents like the Target breach seem to be the ones I’ve encountered the most.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:53 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Oddly enough, I don’t think any of my breaches have been using my CC online. I say that because none of the times I’ve been hacked had anything to do with a card I used for online purchases. I’d like to think those transactions are pretty secure, but I limit what I do online to a specific card and my Amazon card.

Restaurants where a server can take a picture of your card, front and back, gas stations with skimmers and the incidents like the Target breach seem to be the ones I’ve encountered the most.
I haven't used them, but there at least used to be a way to create a one-time use card number that ties to your actual cc number so that internet shopping would be less risky.

I've had fraud committed on my by movers who took a pencil over my credit card - they insisted that it was for their billing, but what they didn't know was that I had just signed up for a brand new card and the movers were the only charge I had put on it. No more than a week or so later I saw a Spirit Airlines charge, which is not a typical fraud trick - which is usually a small charge first to see if the charge goes through. This was an airline ticket for nearly $300. I wasn't about to attempt to bring charges against the movers though because, duh, they knew where I lived. I took care of the fraud with the company and I bet they are in jail now anyhow.

Other stuff, who knows where it comes from. Much of the data breaches from stores are card numbers sold on the dark web to thieves, but data breaches can come from online storage of cards too. No way to know how much comes from one source or another.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Discovered 2 separate fraudulent charges, same store, on my credit card statement. After contacting cc company, requesting new card...now wondering how many ways there are to get this cc number.

The cc has not been out of my presence. It is a chipped card, use it mainly at the grocery store and for online purchases. Also direct deductions to pay bills at local gas co., cable co., and electric co.

So it could be someone at any of these businesses who stole the number...what about the security no.??
Wouldn't that be required to use the card?

Any other ways to obtain the cc no.?

Also, is the bank able to track the address that merchandise would be mailed or delivered to...and arrest someone?
Depends on how their systems are setup, your card info may or may not be on their systems. If so, they may have had a breach (and they may not even know it yet). Or, your card number was simply taken the old fashioned way, by the person you handed your card to when you were making purchases. There are skimmers the size of those old pencil sharpeners. A quick swipe will get the info on the card.

As for the CVV - not all places use them. Even some places that ask for them don't actually use them to verify. It's just part of the default entry on the application, but they didn't buy the backend processing for it.

As for investigating fraud. There is a cost associated with this. So it really depends on how motivated they are. I've heard stories where cops can't get the full cooperation from stores because the store had little motivation. Especially since in many cases, the fraudulent charges are written off by the issuer rather than the merchant. This is why there was such a push of the EMV cards two years ago. Merchants were going to be accountable if they didn't have the EMV equipment in place.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Aren't chipped cards suppose to deter skimmers?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I've had CC fraud 4x in a year when I ordered college books online. Either specific college book online stores or Amazon. And other Amazon items. The only other place I used my CC at was at the gas station.

They somehow got my data, created a CC and went shopping about 80mls away from where I live. They used it at places like Apple store and Walmart. Not sure how they got away with it but i think they did.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM

17,595 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Aren't chipped cards suppose to deter skimmers?

Chip cards.. Ok.. I'm in the industry to an extent, so.. let me vent on this a bit.

Chip cards STILL have an MSR stripe on them.. So, that stripe can still be read and since 'backwards compatibility' was maintained, it's simple for someone to burn a card because there's only one flag in the data on the mag stripe that says whether the card has a chip or not. Plus.. Try this yourself, some chip card readers give one shot to read the chip, if failed, it goes to magstripe. You insert your card backwards on some readers when it asks for the chip, then it will ask you to swipe.

Once the number and expiration date are obtained... That's about all that's required. The chips were intended to stop fraud based on cloned cards, which they say was a high number, but most fraud in my experience has been CNP fraud (Card Not Present) and chips do nothing to stop that.

Gas pumps were supposed to be EMV by October 2016 as I recall.. How many EMV gas pumps have you seen? I'm yet to see one in the field.

The true problem here is that to try to maintain the backwards compatibility, they kept the magstripe and the biggest thing.. They went with Chip-and-Signature rather than Chip-and-Pin.

Now.. In all reality.. Chip-and-Pin would be difficult in the US, because we're used to going to a restaurant, handing over our card, and they come back with the card and the vouchers. with chip and pin, you can't really do that. Most restaurants would have to go to a central-cashier type operation or to a pay-at-table solution, which requires a significant investment in equipment.

An additional point here.. I get a TON of complaints about EMV due to the time it takes to process. In reality, it's not that much slower than the old swipe, other than the fact that in most places, it's the customer doing the work vs the employee.. And customers take far longer to follow the instructions. Most places, EMV transaction requires to confirm the amount, ask about any cash back, insert the card wait for approval, then remove the card. And most solutions require you to follow the instructions to the letter. You remove the card, or insert it too early.. Fail. Do it over again. Walmart has made improvements on this since the start, and it is getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance